• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 54 Liter Journal.

PM said:
Well I thought you said that ammonia causes algae? ie, I wiped out my filter bacteria by accident, resulting in GW.
Yep, poor nutrition causes ammonia to be released into the water column. It is highly unlikely that you would have wiped out your filter bacteria just by not adding de-chlorinator. This product is added to protect fish, not bacteria.

PM said:
I refuse the idea that I have poor circulation, CO2 or dosing, maybe poor O2 though.- ten times filtration, all areas of tank have visible flow, and healthy plants. ;)
If CO2, dosing and circulation are OK then O2 is produced properly and is also OK.

It's likely that your green water occurred as a result of too much light for your level of dosing/CO2. Adding more light when you have algae or poor growth is usually an invitation to more problems.

Cheers,

Hello!

So I have been battling green water for ages now, and have been doing lots of massive water changes - this hasn't made it go away, so I have bought a second hand Aqua Medic UV sterilizer on ebay for cheap (lets just hope it arrives this time)! :wideyed:

I have also received my delivery of T5 bulbs from lamp spec. I ordered Osram Skywhite and Philips ones both are 8000K. I like the Osram better - it is just what it's called. The Phillips is a kind of richer white, possibley slightly green, but only a tiny bit.

I have opted to have one Osram in the front, and one Arcadia Plant Pro at the back, as two 8000K bulbs make my Rummy Noses look extremely washed out.

Here's the tank with this lighting (no post processing just shot on auto with no flash)

2735430799_46015887ef_o.jpg

The main reason for this post is that I would really like some help to get this looking a bit better. I need some background plants but I don't know what, I find it quite hard choosing plants for the back because I only have like 20cm from substrate to the surface there! Also some low mid-foreground ones too (at the sides). I have hardly any money so any plants I get will have to come from the users of this forum ;) clippings or whatever, for money or donation etc.

I want to get this sorted and then eventually get some snowball shrimp and some more rummy noses.

I am happy with my new bulb, looks a bit fresher I think, em that's it! :)

ta

looks cracking pm. love the sand front.

im liking the bulbs too! i might invest in them aswell. although george recomends the jbl 9000k's. still not sure what to get.

plants?... i couldnt help you. still learning myself. sorry. i was going to say c helferi. looks stunning in my big tank. but youve only got 20cm, it'd over run you in no time.

Thanks saintly :)

Well the c.helferi looks nice, I could give it a go.

As for crypt balansae, I've never had any crypts before, but I've heard a lot about them on the forum though.

I'm not fussy really, as long as people think that a plant will work (as most people on the forum know much more than me) I'd be happy to give it a go, but I need someone to donate some perhaps? :oops: Can Paypal postage and a bit extra ;) all suggestions welcome. :)

A quick update on what's happening with my tank....

1. I got some V.Nana & C.Helferi (?) through from Saintly (thanks very much for that) :)

2. Expecting some plants from Garuf ( :D )

3. My green water is GONE! Also hardly any algae problems lately :)

TODAY: I pulled out my Juncus repens and Rotala rotundifolia, to make way for the plants from Mark, syphoned loads of crap from the substrate, cleaned the glass (and scraped off the limescale around the top with a razor blade). Then I planted the long plants from Mark, and pruned my stems as they were looking a bit ropey (esp at the bottoms).

So I now have some more plantlets from Mark, J.Repens and R.Rotundiflia in a bucket which I might plant tomorrow.

I will also prune the Narrow leaf Java Fern very soon, it just never stops growing! :)

Anyway some pics:

Front:
2772853710_8e43a80d46_o.jpg

Left:
2772820854_631797c4c7_o.jpg

Java Fern:
2772821110_b6833096f1_o.jpg

(My fish are all hiding due to the upheaval today :( )

Updates will follow soon, I got about 4 weeks to get this thing looking nice, then I going to order some snowball shrimp, then I'm back at uni so won't have time to mess about with it too much! I'll need it for de-stressing then! :lol:

Any comments welcome!

Cheers

Back