• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PM's 54 Liter Journal.

saintly said:
what are those fish with the red faces? amano uses them. i would like some of those for the henge maybe?

Rummy nose tetra , gorgeous fish might look a bit big in the Henge though IMO

i just remembered i sent you the v nana and c helferi. looks good pm. if you want some more let me know ;) good photography too... for a nikon user :lol:

cheers mark

saintly said:
i just remembered i sent you the v nana and c helferi. looks good pm. if you want some more let me know ;) good photography too... for a nikon user :lol:

cheers mark

Ok I will :) lol, yeah thanks, just getting to grips with my camera. Manual focus is really good I have learned!

Still can't seem to get a great shot of my shrimp with it though :?

Okey dokey then, after my BGA nightmare http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3539, I did a three day blackout, and it's GONE!! :D :D

Here's the current state my tank is in:
3036883456_458803c68c_b.jpg

As you can see I have had to make some adjustments to tackle my BGA problem, in short, massive prune on the Java fern, stems, and moss. Also took the moss off of the ADA riccia stones to wash it in a bucket (was full of crap and BGA due to being massively overgrown). These stones are no good for securing moss anyway, so I plan to break up some mini landscape rock I have for the front and cover with that massive blob of moss :)

I also plan to lop off part of the center piece of wood, to enable me to move it and the one on the right closer to the center, and then put some more HM on the back right.

Then I want some Pogostemon Helferi http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3670 to dot in between the moss, and possibley some different crypts too :D

SO! That's a bit of an update (for anyone who's interested), hopefully have it looking nice in a few weeks.

P.S. Is it easy to break up mini landscape rock accurately? How do I do it?

Comments/suggestions welcome :)

The tanks looking nice mate! i'd loose the moss on the left though, it adds nothing to the scape and it's really distracting. If it were me i'd get some more stems in there too, it has loads of potential :D

PM said:
The moss on the left will be attached to stones along the front.

From one problem (BGA) to the next! I now have a ton of hair algae growing in my tank, and my crypts are melting away, I need help! :( :( :( :( :( :(

sounds like a CO2 problem, crypts melt after a change in water quality, and hair algae is due to low/ fluctuating CO2

PM said:
Phhhhh, well my drop checker is light green all day long...

I don't know what to do anymore, seriously considering going low tech or giving up! Really don't have the time to be constantly messing around with it!
Yeah, I know how you feel bud, its horrible when things go wrong :(

Innit, I find the best motivation is to have a little bit of a hissy about it then trim everything back super hard and try and find the root cause. That and alcoholism. :twisted:

I've done the same don't worry, I'm treating mine as a learning tank. The next one I won't have to spend anywhere near as much because I'll get it all right first time.

Chin up mate. I'd advise you to cut your light in half until you can find out what's making your crypts melt.

:(

Sorry it's not working out for you yet. I hope you do manage to keep your enthusiasm up - this tank has great potential.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you some help. I can't really offer much from re-reading the thread, except I did notice at various times that you had quite large unplanted patches. It might help to get some fast growers in there (rotala, hygrophila etc.). Only other things I can suggest are not to have the 'midday burst' (if you still are doing that), and to get it as stable as possible - lights on timers, CO2 on a timer, try not to do to much digging or rearranging, and keep up (or increase) the water changes - I've never had any bad side effects from doing two 50% changes a week (although you did mention you were going to be time-limited from studying). Perhaps reduce the lighting period - I don't know what it is now.

Good luck with the studying, and the tank.

Mark

Hi, the lighting periord atm is 9 hours at 48w

Due to my never ending battle against algae, I have decided to reduce the lighting to just 24w (one T5 tube)

I have been using Arcadia Plant pro (5500K) and Osram Skywhite (8000K). Now I need just one 6500K tube, either of the previous two look awful alone.

So, what 6500K tube would you recommend out of these to be used alone: http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes?search=24w+t5+6500

I would like my rummy nose' noses to look as red as poss with a 6500K tube (they look ill under 8000K alone)!

(Yes I have seen the 'cheap light bulb thread') ;)

I'm still not sure I understand this idea of "poor CO2 causes X algae". If this statement were true, then every low tech tank (i.e with no additional CO2) would always be plagued with algae. It must be some sort of ratio/relationship with CO2. I have hair algae in a low tech tank lit with two T8 tubes. I definitely have poor CO2 - I don't add any.

Back