• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pogostemon Erectus issue

Keetchy

So my Pogostemon Erectus was starting to fall apart. All the spikes on the bottom half of the stems were falling off. This is down to lack of light right? So I trimmed all the stems right down. They have been in the tank since January but today is the first time I trimmed them down.

Question is.....are they salvage able? Will the spikes grow back or shall I rip them out?

20200408_193430.jpg

20200408_193443.jpg

Usually I replant some tops as well as (maybe) retaining the lower portions - it looks better :) - and even quite short tops seems to grow on more quickly than the cut back stems
You can see a few small shoots (in your photo) and these should show significant weekly growth if conditions are good

As long as these bottom stems are well rooted, they will eventually recover - even with just moderate care

If root development is poor, then recovery will depend much more on very good conditions

Yes, poor light will often lead to leaf loss in stem plants - and fine leafed stem plants (P erectus, R wallichii) obviously have much less leaf surface area to capture light

Usually I replant some tops as well as (maybe) retaining the lower portions - it looks better :) - and even quite short tops seems to grow on more quickly than the cut back stems
You can see a few small shoots (in your photo) and these should show significant weekly growth if conditions are good

As long as these bottom stems are well rooted, they will eventually recover - even with just moderate care

If root development is poor, then recovery will depend much more on very good conditions

Yes, poor light will often lead to leaf loss in stem plants - and fine leafed stem plants (P erectus, R wallichii) obviously have much less leaf surface area to capture light
Thanks bud. The roots seem to go down far. I've got my AG delivery arriving today so I'll see how much Siamensis 53B and Ludwigia Arcuata I can get out of what arrives to determine if I'll keep it in there or not.

I encourage giving it another go now that you’ve got the new Twinstar light - it really is a nice plant

Love the L arcuata :)
(haven’t managed to get any in years so of course even fonder of it :D - the Tropica version was gorgeous red colours even with moderate light and low CO2)

I encourage giving it another go now that you’ve got the new Twinstar light - it really is a nice plant

Love the L arcuata :)
(haven’t managed to get any in years so of course even fonder of it :D - the Tropica version was gorgeous red colours even with moderate light and low CO2)
I gotta reposition it slightly anyway as it's in the way of where I plan to plant the other 2. But I'm looking forward to getting the new plants and light. The Alternanthera is all out now, and that's getting replaced with Rotala Orange juice and H'ra

Back