• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Poison dart frog vivariums

wanting to turn my 40b eventually into a vivarium (rn just sitting in my closet from the move we just had about a week/2 ago)

this is very inspirational and cool.

The best advice I can give you is research, research, research.

Use Dendroboard, it might have minimal traffic nowadays due to people using social media groups instead, but it has decades worth of valuable information and builds to use as inspiration.

So I was taking photos of my frogs today, and noticed something odd in the photo :

33629330498_5893426213_b.jpg
IMG_20190331_122429 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

33629330078_0d123989e1_b.jpg
IMG_20190331_122753 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

:)

That's cool, looks like it was a male and female in the photo. Do they normally lay only a pair or do you think there will be more hidden else where in the tank?

That's cool, looks like it was a male and female in the photo. Do they normally lay only a pair or do you think there will be more hidden else where in the tank?

Yeah, I bought a trio of a supposed group and unsexed juvie (1.1.1 group) but not seen all 3 in a while. At least I have a sexed pair, that's always the tricky part (my rio branco group of 4 I think is 4 females :banghead:)

The lay clutches of 3 - 5 usually (there's 3 tads in that photo), the female will transport them into individual water pools and feed them unfertilised eggs, usually daily, until they morph out as froglets. They can lay multiple clutches, so i'm keeping a close eye on them.

There's a bit more emphasis to breed them as the country they originate from, Panama, have stopped all exports of such livestock - whether that's temporary or permanent only time will tell. But it means increased scarcity.

I would love some Oophaga Histronica or Oophaga Sylvatica for my next tank but they never come up for sale and the prices would be silly anyway (usually £800 + for an unsexed pair), with them it's now what you know, it's who you know and your level of experience (most are in Europe and US only).

Added a group of 0.0.4 Oophaga pumilio 'Isla Colon' to the 18*18*24 today

Been looking at a lot of vivarium builds online lately, contemplating building one myself, more for the plants actually.
Trying to find the right plants for a "" biotope/ecotope"" setup. Good fun.

Been looking at a lot of vivarium builds online lately, contemplating building one myself, more for the plants actually.
Trying to find the right plants for a "" biotope/ecotope"" setup. Good fun.

Need some inspiration?

https://www.dutchrana.nl/

https://www.araflora.nl/

:) Both have good quality plants. Recomend Araflora for the rareties. He also stands open for suggestions and willing to search his sources if you miss something in his catalogue. :)

Two suppliers I use :

bensjungle.de
tropiscape orchids

Re: Vivariums - i'd recommend building a euro style vivarium or modifying an exo terra vivarium as I have, any help you need or further links i'll be more than happy to help.

A few years ago a friend of mine bought a complete terrarium, with plants frogs and all.

What i like about that terrarium it is custom build from hard wood by a cabinet maker. And very nicely done, it kinda looks like an old Chinese cabinet model.
Terrarium interior part is completely glass with 2 sliding panels at the front. :)

Wood / fibreglass / sealant is definitely another way to go.

Are you thinking of making a biotope specific tank @Edvet with the possibility of dartfrogs?

I’ve lagged behind on this one :oops:

But now get massively exciting updates all in one go :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

I’ve lagged behind on this one :oops:

But now get massively exciting updates all in one go :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

Thought it might be appreciated :)

Didn't even realise they were breeding so a nice surprise. Now's the crucial part of raising the froglet.

Witnessed one of the Oophaga pumilio 'isla colon' - so a confirmed male making it a 1.0.3 group so far

Upgraded the stands to racking, along with the lighting to AI Prime Freshwater HDs :

Old stands and lights :

IMG_20200321_105054.jpg

Rack installed - custom brackets on the AI Primes :
IMG_20200321_131148.jpg

Installed :
IMG_20200321_174331.jpg
IMG_20200321_174344.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_174810.jpg
    IMG_20200321_174810.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 128
Back