Pollenca Montaña - Lee's 47L High Tech Nano

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Aeropars, 23 Mar 2009.

1. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Here goes with my first real aquascape where I got inspiration from a holiday in Majorca of all places. I often wondered how people drew inspiration from real life then had a great room in Puerto Pollenca and stepped out on to the balcony and it hit me. So here's my attempt at recreating that scene.

First the tank details:

Tank: 47L cube (ish)
    Lighting: 2 x 18watt daylight 6500k tubes via overhead luminaire
    Substrate: ADA Aquasoil (12L)
    Hardscape: Mini Landscape Rock
    Filtration: Tetratec EX600
    Carbon Source: 500g Pressurised CO2 with Easy Carbo suppliment

And now for some pics:

Heres the tank bare:
    [​IMG]

In goes the Aquasoil. I was surprised at how soft it is! Its almost like clay
    [​IMG]

Centre piece rock goes in. I can't believe how long it took me to place this trying to get it right.
    [​IMG]

Another part of the main focal point added. I felt this needed something more than a 3 stone Iwagumi type layout. I'm not really a fan of them.
    [​IMG]

A couple of small accent rocks added
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I played around to see what else I could do to add more complexity tot he layout and here's what I came up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pic with the glass cleaned up!
    [​IMG]

A birds eye view
    [​IMG]

Side view - This wll also be another viewing aspect given where the tank is placed.
    [​IMG]

I plan to fertilise this with Tropica Plant nutrition + and have the idea of having some P. Helferi as well as a carpet of HC and depending on how it goes, some small bits of Blyxa as well.

All comments, suggestions and insults welcome :)

Lee

2. john starkey

john starkey Member

Re: Pollenca Montaña

Hi Areopars,

looks nice mate,when you going to plant it,
    also where did you get the small over head lighting from,

regards john.

3. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Re: Pollenca Montaña

Hi John,

The lighting all came as part of the tank. It was sold as a marine setup so i just changed the bulbs. I paid £50 for the tank, cabinet and lighting and then found they retailed for over £120.

I'm going to do a HC carpet with some P.Helferi andmaybe some blyxa,

Lee

4. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Looking great Lee ! My only thought would be that the substrate is so high at the back left, that it doesnt leave much height for plants back there. Might be better to lower the substrate, and let the plants (Blyxa maybe !) make up the height.

Of course you could do it the other way around and have low level plants at the back, but planted high up :D

Look forward to seeing it planted.

Cheers

Tony

5. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Thanks for the comment.

The reason I went for that approach is because the image i had in my head was of a steep incline covered in grass but with rocks poking out. Kinda hard to describe but its the image i have stuck in my head fomr the visit to Majorca.

6. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

I can see where your coming from mate an it should work very well. It looks great to me, keep it up!

7. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Thats whats important :D Good luck :D

8. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Love the hardscaping, I like how it sweeps up into the corner
    Looking good!

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Looking great mate :) Do you happen to have any photos of where you're drawing your inspiration from?

10. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

11. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Looks great and nice tank too :) going to look great with that plant choice, looking forward to it planted :) congrats

12. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Well, I think i'm happy with this as it is so i'll commence the planting at the weekend. Unless anyone can suggest some improvements?

13. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Well last night I planted this up and am pretty happy with the results. I'll post a pic over the weekend as the tanks still clearing the bubbles you get form it being initially filled.

I'm running 1 x 18w tube for 5 hours at the moment to avoid any algae outbreaks and adding 1.5ml of TPN+ 3 times a week.

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Oooh, can't wait :)

Nanos are great, because they take no time to plant, compared to larger tanks! That being said, they can be fiddley too :lol:

15. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Sorry for the lack of updates with this. Its going OK and was going great without CO2, dosing easy carbo (double the recommended dose) although the HC is starting over the last week to show yellow leafs, even though up until now its been looking lush and totally free of algae. I'll try and get some more pics ASAP for you lot to see.

Lee

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Looking forwards to it :) Maybe up your Nitrate dosing a little for the HC?

17. Aeropars

Aeropars Member

Well, I'm dosing TPN+ and have trimmed the HC back and doubled the dose to 2ml 3 times a week. The tanks 47 litres.