• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Polyester's 180 L Rio Journal [update 21/07/12 new pics]

Polyester

Polyester's 180 L Rio Journal [update 09/07/12]

Time to start my first journal.

It´s my first “real” try on a planted tank and its very much learn as I go.
My goal is to create a healthy, nice looking tank with a good balance. Hope to learn a lot from others, and in some way help someone with this journal.

This project includes this so far.

Tank: Rio 180 L Beech (101 x 41 x 50 cm)

Filtration: Tetratec External Filter EX 1200 l/h

Heating: Hydor External Heater STAT 300

Lighting: Juwel 2 x 45 Watt Day, and Hagen Glo Twin 54W T5, with 2 x T5 39W 865 Philips. All 4 are only on for 2 hours per day.

CO2: Pressurised CO2 system, 2 kg bottle with external reactor set-AR-US40, it comes on 2 hours before lights is.
http://www.us-aquaristikshop.com/co2-an ... -16va.html

Substrate: 3 x Flourite Black, 1 x Flourite Black Sand, 1 x JBL AquaBasis plus 5l

Hardscape: 25 kg Brown Holey rock and 2 x Juwel Background Stone Granite 600 X 550mm

Plants: All are not included in the list, at this point

Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Rotala sp.'green'

Fertilisation: Will go for EI and Trace, will receive salts next week. Dosing will depend on water tests and how the tank “responds”.

Maintenance: For Co2 levels, AE Design Drop Checker using AE Design 4 dKH Solution with Bromo Blue. Water changes 25-50%, 1-2 times per week for the first two weeks, then 25% once a week.

Re: Polyester's 180 L Rio Journal

Got the tank and some other bits and pieces Tuesday.

20120612203543.jpg

Installed the extra light fitting.

20120615222034.jpg

The background, Juwel Stone granite is in and have taken the internal filter out.

20120612211937.jpg

Friday, the substrates turned up and I started with adding a layer of Aquabasis.
Installed the filter.

20120615222842.jpg

Saturday, received plants from James at TGM and went out to local shops to get more.
Started with the hard scape, brown holey rocks. Took some time before I felt good about it.

20120616103323.jpg

Filled up with more substrate, Flourite Black and then Flourite Black Sand on top.

20120616112340.jpg

Then it was time to get started with the plants. Got a ADA and Tropica catalog from TGM, with some really helpful information.

20120616160433.jpg

Got started on preparing the plants. Trimmed off bad leafs and roots.

20120616175602.jpg

Filled up with a few inches and started to plant.

20120616175647.jpg

20120616195318.jpg

Filled the tank up with water for the first time. Tried to get as much plant “mass” as possible to prevent algae.

20120616214939.jpg

Installed the heater, Co2 and tested for leaks. Started up the filter. Had to do some adjustments to the cabinet.

20120615214837.jpg
20120615214852.jpg
20120615214912.jpg

Polyester's 180 L Rio Journal

Looking great mate, you've clearly thought it out well and even it grows in it'll look even better.
The only thing is say, and this is purely just my preference, is the plant rear centre looks out of place, I'd personally leave that part open to create an open space in the middle and the left and right sides act as two Seperate hill effects if you get me??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input Alastair :)
Know exactly what you mean, thought about it earlier today.

Trying to keep the plant mass up atm, so will let it stay abit, but will make a opening, void, there at a later point.
Probably will replace, move and change a lot the coming weeks.

Nice plan and execution Polyester. Tank is a great start.

I know you said you love Congo's but with their size and activity this tank will not be long enough in my opinion.

One to watch.

Andy

It's a great start and you have obviously done your homework.

The textured background can tend to be a breeding ground for BBA and most often, they get ripped back out again.

My only advice is give yourself enough time to get used to the co2 injection before stocking.

Great tank! The only thing I'd change is the background, could be better to have a lighter one to emphasis a sense of space. But its all down to personal preference and is easily changeable if you decide you don't want it one day!

Looking forward to seeing it all grow in!

Hi
Nice set up. Your background will reduce the flow and predispose to BBA.
What extra light fitting did you use and how did you set it up in the flap?

Thank you :D

mvasingh said:
What extra light fitting did you use and how did you set it up in the flap?

Used a Hagen Glo Twin 54W T5 Starter Unit and drilled holes in the flap.

20120618123628.jpg

20120618123648.jpg

spyder said:
My only advice is give yourself enough time to get used to the co2 injection before stocking.

I plan to introduce algae eating snails and shrimps soon, but wait 2 weeks atleast with fish, what time frames were you thinking?

edmills said:
Great tank! The only thing I'd change is the background, could be better to have a lighter one to emphasis a sense of space.

The reason I choose the dark one, is to make my fish choices stand out even more, first on my list is:

Microdevario kubotai
6A725959D3E33BECFBB2C080052E5428_full.jpg

Just been to my local shop and made a price request for 50 :thumbup:

Attachments

• 6A725959D3E33BECFBB2C080052E5428_full.jpg
    6A725959D3E33BECFBB2C080052E5428_full.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126

Agree with Alastair on the planting - those stems in the middle will grow quickly and unbalance the entire scape if left to their own devices...
Otherwise looks great! Nice scape - like the rock work"

Polyester said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but 54w should be 120cm tubes and the 90cm tubes are only 39w might want to check on this as it may reduce tube life.
As an aside, a single 39w t5 was more then enough in my Jewel Vision 180 and that was after removing the standard lighting.

OllieNZ said:
Polyester said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but 54w should be 120cm tubes and the 90cm tubes are only 39w might want to check on this as it may reduce tube life.
As an aside, a single 39w t5 was more then enough in my Jewel Vision 180 and that was after removing the standard lighting.

Then I correct you, they are able to manage UP TO 54W, doesn't have to be 54W. The reason I have extra fittings, as I wrote in the first posts of the journal, is that I want 2 hour "peak" in the middle of the day. Did that on my last tank, with a very good result and can always choose not to.

Little-AL said:
Agree with Alastair on the planting - those stems in the middle will grow quickly and unbalance the entire scape if left to their own devices...
Otherwise looks great! Nice scape - like the rock work"

Cheers Al, was after maximum plant "mass" to prevent algae at the start up, will remove some species and change, once the tank is in balance. Glad you like the scape, needs some tweaking later on :thumbup:

you made a great start there. Microdevario are a fab little fish. Are you to add 50 in one go?

Thank you, will prob start with 30, wait for a week, then if it feels ok, add some more. Seems tricky to even get hold of them, talked to a supplier yesterday, that have some come in this week and then my tank and the fishes will be ready for next weekend.

Also considering Barbus fasciolatus

4327407673_fc7caf0fe9_o.jpg

Back