• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pom Pom Crab

The anemones are only being held by the claws and if you sneak up on them at night you can see that they have sometimes put them down. I was bemused a few times when I saw ones that had only had one anemone suddenly appear with two one day, that was until I actually saw one chop (frag in marine circles) the anemone in half. Nature is quite cool some time.

It's also well recorded that if a pom pom crab only has enough anemone for one claw, it will try and steal from another, OR a friendly crab may split their own and hand a piece to them.

Without bashing on freshwater fish/inverts, saltwater creatures are very complex in terms of the relationships they form between each other, whether it's cleaner shrimp, pom pom crabs, clownfish and anemones, gobies and pistol shrimp...

Marine reef fish are more like birds in level of consciousness. Blennies in particular are very engaging, they will follow you with their eyes and take keen interest in you. My clowns swim over and bite or slap you with their tail when you put your hand in the tank.

Tommy on the other hand (Long Nose Hawkfish) -

2E4A8363-3389-40CE-88DF-9500546D0C2F.jpeg

You can beckon him over if he’s at the back of the tank by waving at him, putting your face right up to the glass and he swims right over and sits on the frag rack right next to the front glass so you can give him kisses!

:)

Back