Pond dechlorinators

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by sanj, 11 Aug 2008.

1. sanj

sanj Member

I was wondering, can we actually use the pond version of dechlorinators/chloramine reducers?

It is just that they seem to work out cheaper and having an 860litre seems to make more sense. Was just wondering if there is somthing very different in them that would make them unsuitable for aquarium use?

2. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

of course you can, it's the exact same product except more concentrated to do larger volumes
    i know of several people who use pond dechlor on a tank, its much better value for money
    you may need to dilute it down a bit tho

JC :D

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i use it, and i think George does aswell. No need to dilut it unless you want to make it last longer! But you have to work out how to do it. It isnt harmful in the way it comes.

4. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

I only say dilute it as on pond stuff its pretty concentrated ie 1ml does 100gal or whatever, which makes measuring 0.05ml to do a 5gal water change a bit of a pain, so perhaps dilute it 1:10 or 1:100 to make measuring easier

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

i see what you mean but it is a 850l tank ;)

mine does 10ml for 250l and it is the pond doctor

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I use NT labs Aquasure pond dechlorinator. 10ml does 180 litres or 40 imp gal :) Makes it easy on my rio 180 as I do about 1/3 water change which means approx 3ml of dechlorinator.

7. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You can also buy it dry as they are all based around Sodium Thiosulphate apparently. Also the koi guys find that you can't really overdose this as it doesn't cause any problems in the water and simply neutralises cholirine/chloramine. If your water is high in Chloramines then Sodium Thiosulphate will liberate ammonia into the water column though rather than bind them.

8. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Very interesting.

Does anyone know if the pond\tank dechlors all bind the ammonia rather than release it, or does it vary from product to product?

As an aside I got a water report recently to determine whether Thames Water use chlorine or chloramine and the report didn't say... it just said 'chlorides' :twisted:

9. sanj

sanj Member

Ah so its a good idea then... hmm so much money spent on the aquarium packaged ones :(

10. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

a really good idea! Thanks Sanj :D

11. a1Matt

a1Matt Member