• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Positioning Manzanita.

Andrew Butler

So, I've never been very good at 'scaping and am aware it comes with practice although for some people it just seems to come naturally - I'm not one of them!
I'm trying to create some lower maintenance tanks so I can enjoy them a bit more and spend less time on then.
I have both an aquascaper 600 and 900; I did have mock tanks but after needing some of the ply for something else I now don't!
I really want to try and create something with some wood, gravel, pebbles and not a lot more than some Anubias and Bucephalandra. I'm not so fussed if this is in my 600 or 900 although I do eventually want to rescape both of them.
I've put a few pieces of manzanita together; the piece of ply on the floor is around 850mm long, the piece stood up is 600mm long - it is the correct height for the 900 and the lower black line is the correct height for the 600. - If you understood that then well done!

Suggestions and ideas are more than welcome.

20181003_133037.jpg
20181003_142356.jpg
20181003_142359.jpg
20181003_142408.jpg
20181003_142501.jpg
20181003_142504.jpg
20181003_143135.jpg
20181003_143138.jpg

Andrew

The first one is the best by far it looks natural and interesting to look at. One massive concern you do not have any focal distance with the big piece at the front and the twiggy pieces at the front. It should be rotated 180 so the thick piece is in the front LH general corner and the twiggy pieces at the back RH corner area.

Seeing you do not have a Mock tank now it work in the tank. The first thing you have to do is decide which plants and substrate then lay the substrate sloping it from the back RH corner where the Twiggy pieces are.

Keith:wave::wave:

Hi @Keith GH
Just the man I was hoping would comment!

I'm going to get some mock tanks made up again when I get a chance and there's no great rush to get this done.
One problem with the twiggy looking one is if I turn it around it is quite unsightly and you would also see where they join together.
Do you think anything could be developed from the pieces in the latter photos? - by that I mean adding more to it.

Andrew

Andrey

To be perfectly honest nothing comes any where near it. Joins are the least to worry about.

If desperate 2nd last BUT it requires a lot of work to get any where near the good one.

So you don't think building on the other ones would work? - The last 2 pictures are of the same layout just at a different angle.
I intended to add more pieces but was unsure if the start was right or not, I think you have answered that for me!

I do intend to create 2 layouts; one for the 600 and another for the 900.
I was thinking about making one with the 'twiggy/twisty' pieces then the other with the bigger, more solid looking pieces.

Andrew

Once you get the mock tank set up do one tank size to perfection then create the other size tank also to perfection.

Seeing joints in the DW is not even a concern.

Ta-da!
I really had to scrape around the offcuts I had to find enough wood big enough but I just managed it.

20181005_133841.jpg

Andrew

Re the 600. I prefer the 6th second last photo. Several reasons its very basic and simple .
This allows you to look at each piece and general area without getting lost.
If you could get a grey substrate like that it would highlight every thing even more three basic colours Grey Substrate a Neutral coloured DW and simple green plants.

Re the 900

The last one 110% it has every thing going for it again its very simple and has a very good eye flow. A slight lift towards the front and a sloping substrate to finish it off.
Same as the 600 KIS

Hi Keith,

All of the 600 photos are of the same layout, just different angles; the pic below which is what I think you are talking about is my main viewing angle.
I was thinking of trying to get some pieces which I can get to run a little more horizontal within the aquarium for planting on
You suggest a grey substrate, do you mean like the pebbles that are in place? - They need rinsing off and there are ones of other size to add in yet also.
Re the 600. I prefer the 6th second last photo. Several reasons its very basic and simple
20181005_143720.jpg

As for the 900; absolutely agree with you about lifting the left hand piece, I also thought it would want a little more adding in?

Thanks as always for your input
Andrew

Andrew

All the years I had tanks I only used 1-3mm river stones. I would go to garden suppliers and make up a mixture of natural colours, far cheaper than any LFS all I had to do was wash them to get any dirt off them.

I would be very careful adding any extra DW especially horizontally as its a totally different eye flow.

I would go to garden suppliers and make up a mixture of natural colours
Hi Keith,
I've done this in the past but all of the small stuff tends to be local to your area so in my case contains a lot of iron and limestone.
I have got some bags of the larger pebbles which doesn't seem to contain these types of stone.

So; I have had a little bit of adjustment and now temporarily screwed my pieces of wood to a slate before I glue them on.
What's your opinion now? - an honest one as always is welcome.
I hope other people still free to comment.

20181009_133424.jpg
20181009_133427.jpg
20181009_133448.jpg

Re the 900

The last one 110% it has every thing going for it again its very simple and has a very good eye flow. A slight lift towards the front
So the 900 I haven't really done anything with; I've changed the angle of the piece on the left.
I'm wondering whether I should cut around 80mm (the length of the piece of wood at the bottom) from it so they are at different heights - opinions?
Also I'm unsure if and how much more I should add to it.
I think it's looking very island like now so I guess that might be what I go with although the last photo is my main viewing angle.

Please comment with your honest opinions
Thanks
Andrew

20181009_125034.jpg
20181009_125036.jpg
20181009_125039.jpg
20181009_125044.jpg

Andrew

So; I have had a little bit of adjustment and now temporarily screwed my pieces of wood to a slate before I glue them on.
Providing you use a good SS screw there should be no reason to glue them as well.

Re the 900 I would not change a thing remembering it will look totally different once its fully established.

Providing you use a good SS screw there should be no reason to glue them as well
I've got some A4 grade stainless steel so they should be alright.
You think the arrangement looks alright then?

Re the 900 I would not change a thing
You wouldn't even cut the left hand side down in height?
I had considered taking the whole thing down in height a little bit but moreso on the left.

Andrew
Do not change any thing at all.

Once it's in the tank it "might" require a little twigging here and there which is very normal.
They will look totally different in a tank as they are enclosed and no distractions.

Back