• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Positioning Manzanita.

Do not change any thing at all
I do listen to you Keith but as you know some things in real life just don't look the same as in a photo.......
The piece on the left just didn't look right; in particular from the angle I view so I have completely changed the 900!
The prop won't live there and I can make the joint between the 2 pieces strong and near invisible so what's your view of the revised wood arrangement?!
2nd pic is my viewing angle.

20181011_133015.jpg
20181011_133018.jpg
20181011_133022.jpg

Andrew

How many times have you seen a reply from me stating that exact same point.
Only the poster can see it fully.
In the end all I can do is recommend.
Is my eye (Remember I only have one eye) playing tricks on me as the second and third photos look different?

Keith:wave::wave:

the second and third photos look different
All 3 photos were taken at the same time, without me moving anything - just the change of angle; picture 2 is my main viewing angle.
Do you think more is needed?

How many times have you seen a reply from me stating that exact same point
That is why I 'knew' I was right!

Andrew

Its hard to tell once it's in that tank with all the plants etc it will look totally different

Always remember these Design Rules.
1 More is less.
2 Less is more.

Finding that sweet spot can be very hard sometimes.

So here it is; all glued and screwed up - not quite invisible but it will soon blend in when it's all wet and got a bit of greenery on it.
Let's just hope the glue/screw combo will hold it all together! :nailbiting:

I'm now wondering if I really do want to add any rocks or just put a bit of sloping in the soil then pretty much carpet the lot with a few different plants and add some buces onto the wood. :bookworm:

20181030_151920.jpg
20181030_151935.jpg

Andrew
I'm now wondering if I really do want to add any rocks or just put a bit of sloping in the soil then pretty much carpet the lot with a few different plants and add some buces onto the wood. :bookworm:

That decision is a very easy one. As you are working in a Mock Tank you can try as many combinations as you want to. Cheap sand will work perfectly.
Post a few photos as you are playing around in the mock tank. Somewhere you will strike the perfect balance.

As you are working in a Mock Tank you can try as many combinations as you want to
Hi Keith,
I plan to try adding a bit more sand into the mock tank and see how it will look in different ways.
I think my bigger fear is how will it look planted.

I'm wondering about rolling an untamed looking carpet over a majority of the tank that's easy to 'mow' then adding a few more elements here and there; I've not got a great visionary mind!
Link below to my thoughts about planting.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wild-looking-multiple-plant-carpet-suggestion.55690/

Had a little play around and here are a couple of pics; I'm thinking the 3rd/4th is the best out of them so far.
I wonder if I need a little more height on the right hand slope but that might also depend on planting. :wacky:
I'm thinking more about the untamed/wild looking carpet rolling up the back right slope now; putting a Staurogyne Repens carpet on the back left slope and maybe find a way of getting something red in, possibly around the base of the tree. :confused:
I must remember I want to put some buces on the tree too so that might fill things out a bit.
Does it need any stones?

20181101_141710.jpg
20181101_151731.jpg
20181101_152028.jpg
20181101_152034.jpg

Andrew

I must agree with you the last Substrate levels are looking very good.

Does it need any stones?
That is extremely difficult to answer, reason being you have a beautiful piece of DW as the main feature. Rocks could very easily distract you eye flow and certainly attention.
Consider it as an open plane with one tree in the distance. I would be far more concerned about selecting the correct plants and placing them to show of your DW.

Back to the DW, at the moment its very square in the Aquascape.

I would experiment with rotating it a little so the thick RH end is closer to the front. This just might give you the illusion of perspective vanishing point at the opposite finer end.

Will it work ???? remembering only you can see the full effect.

Back