• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible BBA and a host of questions

My Vallisneria was unaffected by the Excel dosing. Without Excel am I missing something the tank needs?

Lowering the temp to 23C isn’t going well. Been no lower than 25.5 today with the heat we have.

Hey @sparkyweasel I'm really curious on this one, my calamistratum never reacted in negative way to excel/glut. What exactly happened to your crinums?
They were C. calamistratum too. I dosed Excel as per the instructions one evening, the next morning there were a few wisps of slimy stuff where the leaves had been and the bulbs were soft and mushy. I left the bulbs in case they could recover, but they didn't.
It's interesting that yours aren't affected. Maybe it depends on the water conditions, possibly the glut reacts differently in different water. Some people find their Vallis tolerates glut perfectly well, although so many report that theirs doesn't.
If I remember right mine were in my tapwater, so 16°DH, pH7.6 and at 24°C.

Just seen on all my new plants, there is a 1mm edge of brown on every leaf. Is this quite normal? I'm aware that often current leaves and growth are shocked when submerged and it's new plant growth that's more important but wondering if there is something up.

I’ve had diatoms, it doesn’t look like it just yet but will keep an eye on it. It’s basically every leaf, on every new plant and all perfect edge. It looks like it’s drawn on, so perfectly on all leaves.

If it looks like some edges of my crypt and r. indica it's a very early stage of K deficiency - mine turned to necrosis on the edges, yours are brown (late stage of chlorosis) but may turn to black very soon. I'd just up the K by 20% or so (if you have very sensitive plants like rotala macrandra or ludwigia verticillata you could also slightly up your Mg and Ca to avoid burning of the tips). The next stage will be perforation of leaves - tiny holes with yellow edges, which later turn to bronze-ish and then black.

crypto.jpg

This actually look like some form of diatoms to me (especially on sessiflora) plus I think your anubias is showing signs of Mg deficiency.

They were C. calamistratum too. I dosed Excel as per the instructions one evening, the next morning there were a few wisps of slimy stuff where the leaves had been and the bulbs were soft and mushy. I left the bulbs in case they could recover, but they didn't.
It's interesting that yours aren't affected. Maybe it depends on the water conditions, possibly the glut reacts differently in different water. Some people find their Vallis tolerates glut perfectly well, although so many report that theirs doesn't.
If I remember right mine were in my tapwater, so 16°DH, pH7.6 and at 24°C.
Fact is that I keep my calamistratum in approx 5dGH so that may be the case (ph between 6.3-7 and 24C). My corkscrew vallis (Tortifolia) melted completely in these conditions and is an ex-vallis now.

Looks like multiple issues to me.

Firstly the onset of diatoms. Which I consider to be the main issue.

A little green filament algae, not enough to worry about.

Possible slight Nitrogen deficiency, but hard to confirm.

And in the last picture, the round leaf plant does look like it's had some Magnesium deficiency, also I don't know what the white dots are on the leaves of this plant. Looks more like something dropping onto the leaves rather than CO2 deficiency.

This actually look like some form of diatoms to me (especially on sessiflora) plus I think your anubias is showing signs of Mg deficiency.

Yeah Diatoms have been around for months and months and can’t fix it. Anubias has only been in the tank a week. How do you compensate for Mg?

Looks like multiple issues to me.

Firstly the onset of diatoms. Which I consider to be the main issue.

A little green filament algae, not enough to worry about.

Possible slight Nitrogen deficiency, but hard to confirm.

And in the last picture, the round leaf plant does look like it's had some Magnesium deficiency, also I don't know what the white dots are on the leaves of this plant. Looks more like something dropping onto the leaves rather than CO2 deficiency.

thanks for the reply. So fairly sure Diatoms is right, it’s on my gravel, some other plant leaves and I just wipe away but would be lovely to finally get rid.

I can’t see the white dots? Could it be the bad photo, reflection or my snail eggs?

Yeah Diatoms have been around for months and months and can’t fix it. Anubias has only been in the tank a week. How do you compensate for Mg?
Usually 5ppm weekly for whole tank should help - you can use epsom salts (MgSO4) - it's quite cheap and widely available.

thanks for the reply. So fairly sure Diatoms is right, it’s on my gravel, some other plant leaves and I just wipe away but would be lovely to finally get rid.

I can’t see the white dots? Could it be the bad photo, reflection or my snail eggs?

Add 1 teaspoons of Epsom Salts per 40 litres of water for Mg. It's really good for the fish as well.

We've got similar issues. I've had diatoms for coming on two months now.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-friday-report-50g-planted.60849/

Nerite snails, BN Pleco, Panda Garra can all help with diatoms.

Yes, could well be snail eggs, although they look more spread out and not clustered as I'd expect for snails.

If it's not something physical on the leaves it could be a sign of CO2 deficiency.

Last photo, look at the leaf on the far left, and the one in the centre pointing straight up.

Just had a look and it’s a bit of debris just floating, leaf is fine.

will look into salts now

Back