• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible relapse (formely called "Urgent help please")

The stringy poo could just be constipation. Its a difficult call, if I were to treat for suspected parasites I'd use esha ndx.
Just be sure oxygen levels are good if you go down that route as the treatment itself could lower oxygen levels further, and multiple water changes will be void for 24hrs.

Have you got good surface movement in the tank?

There is the filter in one side + the bubble stone in the other side
If they had no Esha NDX, what else could I ask for? ( I mean, more than a brand a type of treatment).

Uff... and if its not parasites and I lower the oxygen level Ill probably kill the Gourami... tough call...

Ok... thanks

wish me luck

Uff... and if its not parasites and I lower the oxygen level Ill probably kill the Gourami... tough call...

Ok... thanks

wish me luck
Ultimately its your call but if you've decent surface agitation from your filter and you've an air stone in the tank then oxygen levels should be good.

Gouramis were close to the surface earlier but they just looked a bit slow, but not like they were struggling to breath. Now they are quietly around. They all seem to be moving a bit more now apart from the Molly.
Gouramis are labyrinth fish, the come to the surface for air.

So to re cap..

You've ruled out high ammonia levels (with a test and visualy there's no sign of red gills)
The filter is clean and providing good flow and you've added an air stone.
In the last 24hrs you've done lots of water changes.
You're confident the temperature is around 25c and have checked with an additional thermometer.
There's no chance any cleaning products or aerosols could have contaminated the tank.

The molly shaking is a clear sign that things are heading down hill and I'd be inclined to treat for parasites if all the above questions have been answered.

There's no guarantee they have parasites, but think you're at the point that doing nothing is no longer an option.

Last edited:
So to re cap..

You've ruled out high ammonia levels (with a test and visualy there's no sign of red gills)
The filter is clean and providing good flow and you've added an air stone.
In the last 24hrs you've done lots of water changes.
You're confident the temperature is around 25c and have checked with an additional thermometer.
There's no chance any cleaning products or aerosols could have contaminated the tank.

The molly shaking is a clear sign that things are heading down hill and I'd be inclined to treat for parasites if all the above questions have been answered.

There's no guarantee they have parasites, but think you're at the point that doing nothing is no longer an option.
The recap is correct. Ive treated the first dose of Esha NDX. The girl at the shop was more inclined to treat them for internal bacteria but I followed your advice. No deaths so far. Lets see if they make it until tomorrow
Whats stressful day
Thanks for everyone's help

The girl at the shop was more inclined to treat them for internal bacteria
Why why why
There are no OTC fish meds available (in many countries as well as the UK) that are actually effective against internal bacterial infections observed in ornamental fish - most of the meds so advertised only treat minor external infections, that are generally only secondary to the primary disease pathogen ... so not useless, but far from effective

I’d have chosen eSha exit as it’s more effective against external parasites (which I suspect is the main issue - the trailing Pooh seen in your photo looks more like typical “I eat anything and trail cutely” often observed in various platy/platy hybrids etc) than a levamisole bath - I suggest collecting some from the shop

If you don’t see significant improvement within 24-48 hours of initiating an aquarium treatment, and there are other medication options, then perform a 90% water change (same as 3 x 50% water changes which can be less stressful to (especially sick) fish), add some carbon overnight to remove the remaining medication, then begin anew

(All that clamping and stillness and surface hovering are typical signs of external parasites/parasites that have impacted gill function, eg, ich Note that the white spots so representative of ich, are actually only observed once the infection is well established)

I followed your advice.

Well if I'm being honest it was more a shot in the dark.

Diagnosing and treating disease/infection in fish at the best of times is difficult, trying to diagnose remotely with a couple of grainy pictures is shall we say "asking a lot".
I can only comment, or feel happy suggesting treatments I've used and had good results from.

I'd give the ndx a full 24hrs from dosing, then do a 50% water change and see if anything improves.
If no improvement, then I'd be inclined to go with alto's advice.

Fingers crossed mate.

Last edited:
Well if I'm being honest it was more a shot in the dark.

Diagnosing and treating disease/infection in fish at the best of times is difficult, trying to diagnose remotely with a couple of grainy pictures is shall we say "asking a lot".
I can only comment, or fell happy suggesting treatments I've used and had good results from.

I'd give the ndx a full 24hrs from dosing, then do a 50% water change and see if anything improves.
If no improvement, then I'd be inclined to go with alto's advice.

Fingers crossed mate.
I am super grateful for your advice: right or wrong. You have been there and you can not imagine how much reassurance you gave me. They are my responsibility and Im giving them the treatment. If it goes wrong my fault.
They are still alive. Gouramis sort of the same behaviour but the rest of them acting normally (they have eaten normally too)

Treatment number one seems not to have worked so now I'm changing to treatment number 2.
This morning I did a 50% water change and I put in a carbon filter.
I'll keep it running for 12 hours before starting treatment number 2 tonight.
Could I do another 50% water change tonight or would that be more disruptive than beneficial?
Reminder:
4 fish seem to be ok
2 gouramis have been very still for the last three days. Surprised that they're still alive
1 molly did go through different phases now sitting on top of a piece of wood.
Advice please

Yesterday added some floating plants in the main tank and in the quarantine tank. Quarantine fish seems to be normal.
Hi @confusedman

I am wondering if you introduced planaria into your tank on your plants. Please take a look at this:

JPC

Back