• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Post Your Pics & Videos of the Great Outdoors

Views from near Lower Hades (yes this is a real place ) in late May and early June. I particularly like the small pools and waterfalls that form in the moorland.

20200524_193906.jpg 20200321_161259.jpg 20200322_164228.jpg

Attachments

• 20200524_193820.jpg
    20200524_193820.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 191
Nice images @steveno, it's easy to forget how varied and beautiful the British Isles are, especially during this strange time when folk aren't getting about as much as they used to.

We added Yr Elen onto that exact same walk:) once you are up the first there's very little elevation change.

Same valley as the above waterfall but from a different perspective and not on as nice a day. This is the Glyderau range starting with Tryfan on the right. This is a great area for a horseshow walk taking in tryfan, glyder fawr, glyder fach, y garn and elidir fawr.

ogwen.jpg

and this is the top of snowdon (again not a particularly great day, the forecast was for 100% visibility, which it was when we were half way down!). It was quite crazy this time, we came up from Rhyd ddu this time as we thought it would be quieter but when we reached the top it was packed. This is probably about a quarter of the queue to the summit but it was quintessentially British, politely lining up like that. Its a holiday i will remember for dim parcio signs and road cones (but we booked it last year and stayed away from the more touristy places everyday but from this one).

snowdon.jpg

This makes me want to plan next years summer holiday in Wales :) but I always hear terrible things about the weather, so I still havent dared to.

Hi all,
but I always hear terrible things about the weather
Snowdonia is pretty wet. It is often better earlier in the year (April, May and June), but there is some really good bits of coast (Morfa Harlech) and the Lleyn peninsula and Anglesey tend to be a bit drier. The Southern side of Snowdonia is a lot quieter, and peaks like the <"Rhinogs"> will be really quiet even when Llanberis, Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed etc are rammed with people.

Mid Wales and W. Pembrokeshire are drier than the N and Aberdovey, Newquay, Aberaeron etc are now so fashionable it is where the welsh glitterati live.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Snowdonia is pretty wet. It is often better earlier in the year (April, May and June), but there is some really good bits of coast (Morfa Harlech) and the Lleyn peninsula and Anglesey tend to be a bit drier. The Southern side of Snowdonia is a lot quieter, and peaks like the <"Rhinogs"> will be really quiet even when Llanberis, Capel Curig, Betws-y-Coed etc are rammed with people.

Mid Wales and W. Pembrokeshire are drier than the N and Aberdovey, Newquay, Aberaeron etc are now so fashionable it is where the welsh glitterati live.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the tips :) Which part has the most ruins and castles? Thats what the kids love most of all :) I'll leave this here nice rock I encountered on our Germany holiday this year.
20200823_144226.jpg

Hi all,
Which part has the most ruins and castles?
The <"Welsh Marches"> (along E. border with England) and in <"N. Wales, ringing Snowdonia">. Edward I's castles are the famous ones, like Harlech, Caernarfon etc.

Henry V was born in Monmouth and Henry VII in Pembroke. I'm English, but grew up very close to Wales, where <"every village"> has a castle.

There are another cluster of castles in the <"S. of Pembrokeshire">, which was "English" (S. of the Landsker line), even though it is about as far west as you can get.

The bit in the middle (the <"Welsh Desert">) is pretty bleak, so nobody bothered fighting for it, and there aren't (m)any castles.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
We always go to Wales in early September when the little darlings are back at school. Tbh the weather has generally been really kind to us with only the odd day that's wet or stormy (but wet and stormy days can be some of the best for moody scenery). It's perhaps not the best time of year to go but it's always more favourable than the same time in the lake district but then we are used to the weather.

Sunrise over the church of St Barnabas.
Early morning mists and a decent sunrise too. I normally have very early starts to reach venues for a sunrise within the Peak District, luckily for me, this one was less that a couple of hundred metres from my front door. Didn't even need to start the car.
Clay Cross Sunrise.jpg

Back