• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

POT PLANTS

foxfish

I have noticed on several occasions that certain shops sell 'pot type plants' as aquatic aquarium plants.
Today I saw various variegated plants & some really nice green fern type plants, as we no these plants will not survive underwater for very long but can I assume they would be perfect for growing with just there roots in the tank?
It seem quite difficult to find info on the web about what type of plants like to grow immersed but can withstand dry condition around their leafs?

Yeah, a lot of those will be marsh plants that can stand having wet feet. Also, a lot of the tropical 'foliage' plants sold in garden centres and DIY shops will adapt well to riparian conditions. Obviously there will be some exceptions.

A lot of plants will look a bit sad for a few weeks when moved to aquaculture, but once they adapt and have grown suitable root systems they perk up.

Hi Tom, your experimentation with this sort of thing has been inspirational.
I feel there is plenty more scope to find a range of suitable plants, somthing that has interesting roots like orchids would add interest to the display.
The problem about searching the net is the result inevitably lead onto hydroponics cannabis growing!
Garden centers offer a good range of cold water marginal suitable for ponds, i think what we are looking for is tropical marginals, small in size & tolerant of low humidity?
Thee must be thousand of suitable species?

can ficus be submerged? or just the roots dangling in the water?

Back