• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) Purchased from Internet

I see some talk on this thread about BGA, but can BBA be cause by this issue. ?

I have had a sudden a almost complete attack of BBA, and some fish loss without any changes to my setup.

Looking throgh this thread I recently bought, of ebay, some more Potassium Nitrate. Could this be the cause of my BBA outbreak?

Here's Magnesium Nitrate (MGNO3) for reference. Unmistakable composition compared to other salts.

20180205_135212_1920x1080.jpg

I recently got some from eBay, it has clumped slightly but smells more like plastic than cheese!
Here it is on the right, next to some Mono potassium phosphate from the same supplier:

Is there any other method of testing? I have a nitrate test kit plus scales that measure to .00g

I know this is an ollllllllld thread & you might not even be a member still but, have you got any photos of your salts?

These were some salts I bought from ebay a long time ago and they've been sitting around since every time I used them I would get big problems with plant growth, so moved to other sources.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pa4DLcbEUZ0CUHFyZIj0qnrmEbUHZZHq
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BWQY3ssd3IfsNi6aMhKUBolg9q6c2zIc

Same plastic smell as you have, certainly not the damp blue cheese smell from previous batches of KNO3 I have had. Nor does it clump to any degree.

Ive bought KNO3 from INOXIA twice now.
Each time mixing a 20L batch of macros.

First time the KNO3 arrived pure white, no clumps, no smells. Clumping only occured after a while in the leftovers in the open bag, presumably from the moisture in the air getting in.
Plants grew beautifuly for 40 weeks.

Second batch Ive just mixed. The KNO3 arrived yellowish, clumping, with a strong smell (stilton/smally feet).
I presume the smell and colour comes from impurities.

Hope this helps
Fil

Ive bought KNO3 from INOXIA twice now.
Each time mixing a 20L batch of macros.

First time the KNO3 arrived pure white, no clumps, no smells. Clumping only occured after a while in the leftovers in the open bag, presumably from the moisture in the air getting in.
Plants grew beautifuly for 40 weeks.

Second batch Ive just mixed. The KNO3 arrived yellowish, clumping, with a strong smell (stilton/smally feet).
I presume the smell and colour comes from impurities.

Hope this helps
Fil
Could be due to impurities as Filip stated....I'm sure the KNO3 I purchased way back did have a slight smell of cheese!
hoggie

A naughty way to determine if it is potassium nitrate is to verify it oxidising properties. Make a small amount of concentrated of potassium nitrate solution, drip this solution on to some filter paper (eg coffee filter paper, works well) and dry in the sun outside. Once dry apply a lit match match to the dried area, keeping fingers clear and verify it behaves like as seen in Youtube videos (well any Youtube video that haven't been removed...).

A naughty way to determine if it is potassium nitrate is to verify it oxidising properties. Make a small amount of concentrated of potassium nitrate solution, drip this solution on to some filter paper (eg coffee filter paper, works well) and dry in the sun outside. Once dry apply a lit match match to the dried area, keeping fingers clear and verify it behaves like as seen in Youtube videos (well any Youtube video that haven't been removed...).

Congrats! You have just joined a government watch list.
Welcome! Im on the same list, since buying 10kg of the stuff with "fish tank" as reason for purchase :lol:

Here is the link to UK government website where it shows potassium nitrate is a "reportable substance".

Supplying explosives precursors and poisons

Interesting it is available from some internet auction tat site, sold for meat preserving, but sold as saltpetre.
Also, so is aluminum powder, for use in resin casting. Wonder if that gets reported ???

Back