• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potassium Nitrate (poor in chlorides)

Hi all, my KNO3 is running out so I tried a local garden shop.

They are selling 2kg package Potassium Nitrate for €10, labelled 13,7-0-46,3
I was worried about the label "poor on chloride" - does this infer that the product does have chloride but very little; little enough for aquarium use? Can this be concluded from 13,7-0-46,3

This looks like a similar product

Thank you

Yes, I would use it, Yara, Haifa, SQM, etc. They are not lab/pharmaceutical grade so some contamination is expected. There are also people using Potassium Chloride in planted tanks. Chloride is not the same as Chlorine, in case you're worried about that.

Just would like to add more info, there is another thing called "Chlorite" which sounds like "Chloride" but they're also not the same thing. Chlorite is Chlorine dioxide anion. Popular bleaching agents are Calcium Hypochlorite and Sodium Hypochlorite.

Hi all,
They are selling 2kg package Potassium Nitrate for €10, labelled 13,7-0-46,3
Like @xim says that is fine.

They are slightly strange numbers for the potassium content because of historical reasons. There is a fuller explanation, comment on the chloride content (Cl-) (and calculation) in <"KNO3 suitable.....">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you both, off to the shop then. You should though see the shop owner's face when I replied to his question "what are you going to be using this for? " priceless

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back