• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potassium Nitrate

Marios

I have a problem in obtaining KNO3 in Cyprus. The companies selling chemicals do not sell me KNO3 as it is considered hazardous. I have tried ordering it from different websites, from abroad, but again they will not ship it to Cyprus.

I did find this fertiliser (https://www.haifa-group.com/files/O...12/Multi-K-Prills-EC-1210-For-Europe-only.pdf), that I might be able to obtain (do not know the price yet, but I suspect for the 25kg bag that they are selling it, it will be substantial) and was wondering whether this is an acceptable form of KNO3 to use? I am clueless with regard to chemistry:). So mybe someone with some decent knowledge might be able to enlighten me.

Thanks,
Marios

I have a problem in obtaining KNO3 in Cyprus. The companies selling chemicals do not sell me KNO3 as it is considered hazardous. I have tried ordering it from different websites, from abroad, but again they will not ship it to Cyprus.

I did find this fertiliser (https://www.haifa-group.com/files/O...12/Multi-K-Prills-EC-1210-For-Europe-only.pdf), that I might be able to obtain (do not know the price yet, but I suspect for the 25kg bag that they are selling it, it will be substantial) and was wondering whether this is an acceptable form of KNO3 to use? I am clueless with regard to chemistry:). So mybe someone with some decent knowledge might be able to enlighten me.
The problem @Marios, as you are probably well aware, is that KNO3 is an ingredient in homemade explosives. Even in the UK the supply is regulated. While we can happily order 1-2Kg with no issues, I am sure that, if I, as an individual, ordered a 25Kg sack of KNO3, or worse, ammonium nitrate, I would have plod knocking on my door pretty quickly. (It has happened to someone I know ordering 5L of concentrated sulphuric acid ... also used in the manufacture of explosives). Farmer friends of mine seem to have no issue ordering 1 tonne bulk bags of either for use as plant fertiliser though.

The link you provided is fine as a source of KNO3 for the aquaria, however your issue may well be getting it though customs in Cyprus, assuming that the company would be able to ship it

Thanks @Aleman. The thing is, a local shop that sells fertilisers for terrestrial plant sells this. So i believe i might be able to get hold of it, provided it is sold at a “decent” price. I will contact them and check.

Thanks @Aleman. The thing is, a local shop that sells fertilisers for terrestrial plant sells this. So i believe i might be able to get hold of it, provided it is sold at a “decent” price. I will contact them and check.
I'm now waiting for a knock on the door having mentioned nitrate and explosives several times on this thread ... must keep an eye out for blacked out black Range Rovers

Attachments

• img_20210723_130142.jpg
    img_20210723_130142.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 89
I've checked that as well. What worries me is that on the back it mentions "ammunium nitrate". See attached photo.
Is this ok to use?

Ah probably not then - though not sure why they’d call it Potassium Nitrate if it’s actually based on ammonium?!

The composition on the top suggests that it's truly KNO3. And the rest... perhaps there are some morons in Cyprus, too?;)

KNO3 is an ingredient in homemade explosives. Even in the UK the supply is regulated.
And is so insignificant in homemade explosives builds that the only significant reason for KNO3 ban or restrictions is drastic lowering of food produce - the case of Sri Lanka or for example massive farmer protests in Holland. In the end it will touch any of us.

Back