• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

potassium ?

Jona$

Just added Led fluval 3.0 2x 122cm 59w running at 60% instead of t8,t5.

Started doing pmdd this week and changed water.

And the plants look like this.. are it potassium lacking? Bigger doose ?

I also moved them around recently.. rescaped the tank.

Never had this problem running really low tech with low lightning and long between waterchanges and no pmdd "fertilizer"

fetch
fetch?photoid=2402494&type=thumb.jpg
fetch?photoid=2402493&type=thumb.jpg

fetch?photoid=2402498&type=thumb.jpg

Last edited:
I have no nitrate.. almost not tracable with drop kit. Stable kh 8 and ph 7.0

Could it be the lack of nitrate and potassium..
A no3 and k test?

Mechanical damage to plants is generally something have a munch whilst you are not looking or lack of carbon source.

Hi all,
are it potassium lacking?
have no nitrate.. almost not tracable with drop kit.
Could it be the lack of nitrate and potassium...

A no3 and k test?
Could well be potassium, or NO3, you don't need to measure them (and measuring them is problematic in both cases, because nearly all potassium and nitrate salts are soluble), just add some more. If you don't get a pretty rapid greening then they weren't the limiting nutrient.
Never had this problem running really low tech with low lightning and long between waterchanges and no pmdd "fertilizer"

fetch
fetch?photoid=2402494&type=thumb.jpg
fetch?photoid=2402493&type=thumb.jpg
The net pattern you can see on the right is called "interveinal chlorosis".

Have a look at <"Holes in leaves"> thread (and linked threads).

cheers Darrel

As i belived then, thanks.
Since im not running co2 yet i was thinking seachem flourish excel, but with around 15-20ml daily or if it would need a higher doose like on this site:
https://smartaquariumguide.com/flourish-excel-dosing/

He trippled dose to get any reactions, and i know it can be dangerous.

So in my 720l minus subtrate,roots etc.. perhaps 600l then i would need atleast 15ml/day. 30ml/day extreme from the site.

That would generate over 7L or 14L of the stuff per year.. that will be pricey.. or am im way off ?

Perhaps easy carbo.. can find that for 5l 50euro in germany against like 80euro for seachem 4l

Total of 100-160 euro a year :/

If i just could find a good price on a fire extinguisher and to refill it.. i would go all in on co2 instead.

Last edited:
And how will purigen effect if i doose in no3 in the tank , since ive read it keeps the same level as the tank had when put in.. if i need to raise my no3 .. perhaps the purigen will work against what i wanna achieve ?

It just keeps going, added more but this time happy life plant.

Know it looks like they need magnesium/iron?

Wtf are going on.. there are plenty nutrients in the tank according to dosing..
They where more happy before i started dosing,going to led and amping up the waterflow.

Feels like everything is dying..

Thats it, im ordering the jbl testlab proscape to ones and for all know what the values are.

fetch

I did not , been running it like this for years, and not had a problem.. but yeah i ran it lpw tech. Low waterchanges and light.

Know i run more waterflow
Leds,pmdd so still low but at higher level.

The thought has allways been to get it right with soil when starting over.. since whe are looking for a house , i dont see the time and effort to empty it now and start over.

Ordered jbl testlab plantscape and the jbl kugel balls.. like 40 of them.

So soon i can tell what the levels are and use pmdd to outsource it.

Only thing buggering me is carbon.. would cost a fortune for my big tank in liquid version... and time.

So looking for co2.

Oh yeah i also put in lavarocks and purigen in my fx6 today .

So mechanical...bio...chemical..

I think that you need root hairs in order for your plants to balance their nutrient uptake. I don't think this has very much to do with nutrient concentration, so much as root health. I wish I was a bit closer to you or I would be happy to come round and help you to put a new substrate in.

Liquid carbon is probably not worth the bother. It would be worth reading what some other members have said about it in the past.

Out of interest, what is your GH? My plants did much better when I upped it from 2 out of the tap to 5 by adding Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulphate to my change-water.

Yeah liquid carbon havent i heard the best of things about.

Im not sure what my gh was , but remember it was somewhere between in the ok zone.

In a few days il recieve the test kit to get all numbers up here.

Its just been 2 weeks since ive replaced to led,amped the waterflow,started pmdd and doing weekly waterchanges, and rescaped the tank.

I got good workers both in the fish and snail appartment doing their job.

Since yesterday ive packed the fx6 with lavastone and purigen.

So there have been lots going on as for changes... sadly i should had put in some rich soil/substrate.

But atleast im getting 40 jbl kugeln balls to push down for the rots to nurish.

Its just hard to see a tank that thrieved quite well before and now when im making a effort the seem to be struggling.

Thanks for helping :)

Ordered
Phosphorus
Potassium
Nitrogen
All from seachem

And a jbl gh to add in my kit

Will read it later, at work right now.
I know it cost.. but doesnt cost a friction of what i have laid out in cash in fish and ecuipment etc.

These things can help me on my way on learning , atleast thats how i see it. :)

20190519-155540.jpg

Took it the 7:th day after the latest waterchange.

As i see it im high on po4
Lacking no2?
And my issue with plants looks like a mg problem?

Also gonna ad the 40 jbl kugeln balls today when doing waterchange.

Would love input of people that ubderstand more about this :)

Last edited:
Back