• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potted Plants

mike_low3

Hi There,

I have a bare tank that I'd like to add some plants to and I thought I might add some potted plants, I'd like to just buy the plants seperately and add them to some spare terracota pots I have, but I'm not sure what to put in the pots as a substrate, is there an aquatic soil I could buy or do people use something else when potting up aquatic plants ?

Cheers
Mike

There are a few options you could choose from.

ADA Aqua Soil - uber rich aquatic plant substrate (will create an ammonia spike depending on the size of the tank)

Nature Soil - very similar to the above (with no ammonia spike)

Tropica Aquacare Substrate beneath a thick layer of gravel or sand.

Plain Gravel or Sand - You will need to dose the water column to supply the plants with enough nutrients since they can't get any from the inert substrate.

Aquatic Soil - Meant for ponds but is certainly suitable in an aquarium, especially potted. I'd cap it with a layer of gravel though.

All will do a grand job but if it were me, i'd go for the Aqua Soil.

Hope this helps.

I've always thought about doing something like that!

I would treat it like any other substrate system, except you're just limiting it to the pot rather than the whole tank. I would recommend ADA Aquasoil if the tank isn't already set up, or Oliver Knott's Naturesoil which seems to be getting good feedback.

Thanks for all the reply's

The tanks already setup with some fish in it, it's just a bare bottomed tank that I'm using as a quarantine tank for various tropical fish, I'm not adding chemicals or anything, just like to add some plants to give them some hiding places etc, so thought I would pot up a few amazon swords etc.
I've looked at some of these substrates and they're rather expensive to buy, I'm only looking at 4/5 pots max so I'll maybe look at the less expensive options !
Cheers
Mike

Back