• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Power cuts

Today we had a power cut, first time in the 2 years our house has been built, only for about an hour which wasn't too bad but it did seem to be the longest hour of my life as I sat staring at my tank. (first day off work in 2 weeks and I can't make a cup of tea, watch jeremy Kyle ect all the important day off stuff!)

All turned out well, but it got me thinking what to do if the power ever went off for longer, maybe for most of the day, about 7 -8 hours? or throughout the night when I wouldn't even know it had happened until I woke up 3 hours late for work because the alarm clock would have reset itself to 00:00 and erased my 6am wake up call (as they do, and nobody believes you! ;) )

So the question is; how long will a tank keep stable conditions with no effect to water conditions without being filtered? (230l, ext filter) maybe internal filters will be different because the tank water is still in contact with the filter but of course if an external stops working then there's no filteration at all.

Has anyone had long power cuts and had problems with their tank because of it? What can I do to help the situation?

We had quite a few long power cuts in the run up to Xmas. [I reckon someone overdid the decorations! :twisted: ] I found that putting towels/blankets minimised heat loss - which is probably not so much of a problem at the moment. The marine nano was the most worry as it lost heat quite quickly the time the power went off while we were out. Next door still had power so my lovely neighbour let us run an extension through his bedroom window! We did loose one of the marine fish, but both my tropical tanks were fine. We talked quite a lot about buying a little generator, but we've never got round to it! :oops:

Get a gennie, we use one regularly and during powercuts and in general for out door tools and they're a god send you can get them for pretty cheap too, ours was £200 brand new.

Back