• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Powerheads

zig

I want to put a powerhead in a 150L tank to aid water circulation I'm just not sure what to add or order, the tank is filtered by an Eheim 2215 atm with supposedly filter circulation of 510l/h.

Basically the eheim output has radically reduced over the last while and is inadequate, I doubt its giving me anywhere near turnover of 510l/h and I want to supplement it, Im just not sure what to order (other than a new Tetratec 1200 filter :) going for the cheap option here for atm) would a 500l/h powerhead be enough or would a 1000l/h powerhead be better, I dont want it turning over like a washing machine either :)

Thankyou for any input or enlightenment on this matter :D

If you go with the powerhead option I'd look at one of the flow pumps rather than a traditional powerhead. The Hydor Koralia 1 in my tank is rated at 1,500 lph, but the flow is much broader and of a lower velocity so the flow is much more gentle than an equivalent powerhead would be. Does an excellent job distributing CO2 microbubbles to all parts of the tank. It's very adjustable with a sucker and magnet fixing so that it can't move. The only problem with it is that it gets noisy when bubbles get trapped in it. Turn it on and off and they are released and silence returns!

Thanks Ed, Im just trying to weigh up some options here, I have a couple of tanks where ideally the filters need to be upgraded so just looking at all options really and cheap is always good. The Tetratec 1200 with an inline heater is probably the way to go on this one, I will regret it if I don't do it properly and just go ahead and buy it, sooner or later I would end up getting it anyway, so I might just go that.

I will probably throw another thread up about that before I press the buy button :lol:

Cheers Ed

Back