• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Prairie Lands"... job done

Re: "Prairie Lands"... partial full tank shot.

I've just added 13 more, and I'm chuffed with the way they look. :D

George, I've added sae's because i find them much more efficient in rooting around the grasses and stuff than shrimp. plus their full of character. :thumbup:

forgot to say, i also changed one of tubes for a JBL 9000K tube...cracking tube indeed.

These fish are great. I'll try and capture them better, when they settle in a bit.

extra-fish.jpg

for the 'speedy' connections amongst us, here's a vid of the extra harlys. Now there is definitely some different sorts in their.

Their still skittish, but I'm excited that they'll play ball when it comes to images and videos

I'm using the 9 k tubes (2) at the moment, Mark and am well impressed with the natural look.

ianho said:
I'm using the 9 k tubes (2) at the moment, Mark and am well impressed with the natural look.

cheers Ian. :thumbup: Out of my last 5 tanks or so, this is the one I'm most pleased with.

The JBL tubes are really impressive it has to be said.

Gill said:
They Look Great

cheers Gill. George did say to me a while ago, once there's a few more, they'll shoal better...he's bang on the money!

I think i'll need to take out the odd fish which looks so different to the others...There's one thats bright orange :?

Hi Mark,i just looked at your vimeo and noticed how much flow you have going on in there,i know its good to have good flow and i have my filter up quite high and the plants are swaying nicely,but your plants are really flowing around,do find you get better plant growth at this high flow rate ?,
regards,
john.

john starkey said:
,i know its good to have good flow and i have my filter up quite high and the plants are swaying nicely,but your plants are really flowing around,do find you get better plant growth at this high flow rate ?,

I'm not sure if they grow better than in low flow, as I've never really had a low flow tank. I always aim to have the plants in the bottom right corner of the tank (directly underneath the inlet) to 'sway' this way i know, i have flow and more importantly, co2 enriched water in the hardest to reach place.

of course this is a low carpet effect tank and flow gets around with ease, but i think it eliminates dead spots to. There's no part of the tank that doesn't have plants swaying :thumbup:

In realty, the effect is pleasant, rather than a torrent.

Mark Evans said:
john starkey said:
,i know its good to have good flow and i have my filter up quite high and the plants are swaying nicely,but your plants are really flowing around,do find you get better plant growth at this high flow rate ?,

I'm not sure if they grow better than in low flow, as I've never really had a low flow tank. I always aim to have the plants in the bottom right corner of the tank (directly underneath the inlet) to 'sway' this way i know, i have flow and more importantly, co2 enriched water in the hardest to reach place.

of course this is a low carpet effect tank and flow gets around with ease, but i think it eliminates dead spots to. There's no part of the tank that doesn't have plants swaying :thumbup:

In realty, the effect is pleasant, rather than a torrent.

Right cheers mate,does make sense when you think about it :thumbup: .

It is similar mate :lol:

i wish i could do other things the same as Amano :arghh:

Cheers chumps :thumbup:

Don't sell yourself short, you're pretty much almost there. Don't forget that he has virtually unlimited resources and an army of staff to help him maintain the tanks he creates. We have to make do whatever hardscape, plants and equipment that we have. And our own two hands.

flygja said:
Don't sell yourself short, you're pretty much almost there

nice to say, but i don't reckon I'm anywhere near. Many more years of practise needed. :D

Now the fish are colouring up, this pic should show the 3 varieties of the 'same' fish according to MA :crazy:

could someone tell me what they are?

spot-the-difference.jpg

Mark Evans said:
Now the fish are colouring up, this pic should show the 3 varieties of the 'same' fish according to MA :crazy:

could someone tell me what they are?

Hmm... I can only see two different Harlequins. Trigonostigma heteromorpha & espei. Have a look here:
http://fishbase.org/NomenClature/Scient ... ackstep=-2

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add :rolleyes: The scape is coming together very nicely indeed! And I love the harlequins.

cheers guys.

YzemaN said:
I can only see two different Harlequins

there is 3 mate, i'm sure. the bright one, the normal looking harly, and the one with the blue line at the top.

i'll try and get individual shots. :thumbup:

Back