• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Prairie Lands"... job done

Re: "Prairie Lands"... more crypts!!!

Gill said:
This May Sound Corny, but why not try a background of an Ivy clad wall/fence.

I did once consider, (not this tank) to do something resembling a gate post in the country, or even a tyre track from a tractor.

There's a wood i go to, which has tyre tracks and plants growing around them. Kinda oliver knott style.

if i had a 'throw away' tank spare i'd do it.

I like the image that much, i added it to my google page :lol:

Capture.jpg

Mark Evans said:
Gill said:

I did once consider, (not this tank) to do something resembling a gate post in the country, or even a tyre track from a tractor.

There's a wood i go to, which has tyre tracks and plants growing around them. Kinda oliver knott style.

if i had a 'throw away' tank spare i'd do it.

I can see where you would go with a gate Post tank. Would be Very Atmospheric/Moody, depending on the lighting style you went for. Say for example, whitlle down a chunk of bogwood to resemble a gate post all Gnarled up by the wind and rain. Then Left to Go Green with Alage, Planted at the base with Mosses and Hairgrass and the rest of the scape would be similar to the current planting. With more Weedy looking Crypts.

Gill said:
Mark Evans said:
Thanks guys :thumbup:

This 'english garden' theme is good with me. A more naturel gadren, countryside view.

I do think though, the background gives an 'outdoor' feel?

I tried the garden fence on Without Foundation :lol: I spent a good hour making and painting the damn thing and it looked silly :lol: :shh:

Now's the time to start trimming. I've wipped out the tenellus behind the left and middle stones, to create that little window of 'nothing'

I've also been playiong around with the rear tank lighting. :thumbup:

It's slowly coming together.

Re: "Prairie Lands"... more trimming! 9 week update.

Th e weekend is here, and so for a weekly pic update.

As i said yesterday, i trimmed the tenellus at the back of the stones. removed the stems i had growing.

Another thing i'm into is the background effects. (lighting etc) so the next pic reflects this enthusiasm :lol:

practise.jpg

i'm now able to see the originally planted crypts, which are doing great. The newly planted crypts are now showing new leaves and should add a splash of darker toned leaves, in about 8 weeks or so.

Thanks for looking.

Coming along very nicely indeed mate. Are you going to strip it down now?! :lol:

One thing I have noticed is the difference in colours in the rocks. Is this purely down to the lighting, or are they different?

The background is really nice, but I think I prefer the blue, as it really enhances the 'garden' effect.

Keep up the great work, Mark. :thumbup:

George Farmer said:
Are you going to strip it down now?!

not just yet mate :lol:

George Farmer said:
One thing I have noticed is the difference in colours in the rocks. Is this purely down to the lighting, or are they different?

I know :? bugs me rotten. It's the same stone, it's just that the left one has totally different character and colour to the other 2. but On the back of that stone, it's the same as the other 2 :wideyed:

I must admit, in my efforts for knowledge on taking decent pics, i have to try so many variants of lighting, colour tone etc, that every pic so far is different to the last, but i dont mind that. It's the last image that'l count.

George Farmer said:
The background is really nice, but I think I prefer the blue, as it really enhances the 'garden' effect.

with ya on that mate. The blue is what the final set of images will be taken with.

cheers george :thumbup:

I know :? bugs me rotten. It's the same stone, it's just that the left one has totally different character and colour to the other 2. but On the back of that stone, it's the same as the other 2 :wideyed:

Meh it happens, it happens in nature, dont get hung up on that, it looks great.

sanj said:
Meh it happens, it happens in nature, dont get hung up on that, it looks great.

cheers sanj. I'll try not to worry :D

I thought it'd be a good idea to show you how high the lighting is over the tank. There's been much talk about lights and heights recently, and i believe many are banging too much light over their tanks, without sufficient co2 etc.

One easy way to remedy this issue, is to raise the light. You'd be surprised at how effective T5 lights are even at a higher position.

here's mine @ about 50cm above the tank, still giving me good growth.

light.jpg

I think with layouts, with plant selections such as tenennlus, grasses and crypts, This is the way to go. :thumbup:

Looking pristine as usual Mark,very good pics as usual too,

regards,
john.

john starkey said:
Looking pristine as usual Mark,very good pics as usual too,

cheers john. I've had a 'cleaning session' today. Glass and things.

I'm also thinking of changing the fish. I'm really keen on getting some gold/platinum tetras.

Re: "Prairie Lands"... all things 'blue'

lil-lynx said:

thanks you :thumbup:

misscaretaker said:
That looks fantastic! What more could I say!

thanks you to :thumbup:

well, the weekend is over, so stops the barrage of pics :angelic:

final image

background-test.jpg

For a couple more vids, just check my you tube page :thumbup:

that looks great with the blue background :D .
i even love the pic with just the back light,and you can't see anything :rolleyes: :lol: .

Cheers Nelson. :D

I'm having a 'proper' background made, with a 'hotspot of white' where the gap is.

The same old thing, 'it's better in real life' is certainly a case for this tank. The background adds a real 3d dimension.

check the other vids to.

yeah,see the vids ;) .

do you always peg the background to the tank or sometimes on the wall ?.

nelson said:
do you always peg the background to the tank or sometimes on the wall ?.

i used to hang it on the wall, but by pegging it, you create an angle which helps you eliminate that horrid line created by the light above the tank :shh:

Back