Pre or Post stripdown

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Carpman, 15 Jan 2020.

1. Carpman

Carpman Member

Just a few questions ...

1. When you strip your tanks down do you get your shrimp out pre or post plant removal?
    2. If the above is post how do you see them or do you wait for the water to clear again? will the soil disruption cause and danger?
    3. How do you catch your shrimp?

2. Kalum

Kalum Member

1. Post plant removal (you'll never get all of them with anything left in there
    2. Wait for water to clear, i always dose prime for the full tank to help with any potential ammonia spikes even if only for an hour or 2
    3. Big net and thrash about wildly......nah i usually just herd them into a corner and keep scooping up till all are caught

Carpman, Jayefc1 and dw1305 like this.
  3. Aquarium hope

Aquarium hope Newly Registered

Using a smaller 3D shrimp net makes it much easier to catch them.

4. Keith GH

Keith GH Member

[​IMG]

It's free and easy to make all you have to do is add a few shrimp pellets and they will go into the bottle. Another benefit is you do not stir up the tank at all. Don't drill big holes in the bottle top.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

5. Carpman

Carpman Member

This is the method I'm using at the mo but with bottle and big coke bottle so plenty of room

Onoma1 and Keith GH like this.
  6. Carpman

Carpman Member

This is what I had to detail with, prior to stripping out some of the stonework. Excuse the picture quality it was taken from a video clip. 20200108_170445_Moment.jpg

Ps I found my first Kamikaze shrimp yesterday hiding/dead under my sofa about 5ft from tank is this a common thing with open topped tanks? (not using tank lid because light is poor so I decided to use spare Chihiro's instead)

7. Carpman

Carpman Member

20200114_065842.jpg And this is where the little wander was found, underneath the side with throw on more towards the middle so god only knows how he got there...o_O