• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preparing tap water for an URGENT PWC (Partial Water Change). How?

Zak Rafik

Hi everyone,

When I need to do my weekly 50% water changes ( about 110 litres), I usually store my tap water in a big plastic container mixed with Seachem's Prime for 24 hours.

And since my tank's temperature is now 25C (77F) and my tap water's average temperature is around 29c to 30c (84F to 86F), I always have two 2-litres plastic bottles filled with water in my freezer.

About 3 hours before the PWC, I place these frozen bottles into the 110 litres water container to cool the water. Using this method, I have noticed my chiller does not have to work for a longer time to cool the tank and also prevents shock to the fish.

I'm blessed to have tap water that is clean enough to drink straight from the tap but I know that's not good enough for the fish. The tap water in my country is treated with either with chlorine or chloroamine / , I can't be sure as the answer seems to differ.

Now I need to know what steps do I take if I need to do an emergency water change of maybe 25% or 40% or more within say 3 to 4 hours.

I pray that I never come to this situation but I want to know just in case. Members please advice.:)

Thanks in advance and Cheers
Raffik

If you add prime to the water then you can add it instantly :)
Can you increase your temperature to 26-27? If so then a 50% water change would give you a temperature increase of 1-2'C which imo is fine :)
If you wanted you could top back up to 75% and leave it to cool then add the rest then your only causing a 1'C change.

Back