• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hello guys,

Okay, this is a Journal dedicated to the rescape of my ADA Mini M which can be found here.
The rescape has been coming for a long time as I was never really happy with it in comparison to the Raw nature feel I wanted to give it.

The Title for this Tank is 'Pretty Stream', and the title is the Japanese translation of that and it will be a haven for RCS & RBS, and will be suited to their needs. Which as well as Hardscape, will include a bottom littered somewhat with Indian Almond Leaves and such for the critters to hide amongst.

I started by Rinsing my Previous substrate in tank, Followed by layers of Graded Gravel. Which I bought from the 'Garden' section of my Local Fish Store, Which happens to be Paddock Farm & Water Gardens if anyone is interested.
The Gravel was nearly a third of the price compared to the 'Aquatic' Equivalent, Which seemed ridiculous.

Anyway, I placed a few Grades of gravel on top of eachother, (Carefully Placed not poured, Honest! :rolleyes: )
Also added some sand too, which was leftover from my Ryuoh Ravine aquascape.

Here is a pic, Apologies for quality as per :)

15709d75.jpg

1c5da36e.jpg

It looks very Bare and flat at the moment, I will be adding slightly larger stones still once I have collected them from the River Swale :) This will also be coupled with manzanita, Covered in various mosses for grazing Shrimp, coming from the back left corner and draping over the scape. The intended purpose was to look natural, so if any substrate or sand mixes then that's fine by me.

I intend to keep this as a Moss only tank, Which will include;

- Fissidens Fontanus
- Fissidens Mini (or 'Fox')
- Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' (Tropica 1-2 Grow! Range & some already owned)
- Flame moss

As stated, this is for Red Crystal & Black Crystal shrimp to make home in and I intended to somewhat slightly try and replicate a little natural stream habitat, Which will also include good aeration and will not be 'fertilized' by normal means (No column Dosing or Co2/ Liquid Carbon source, Which I'm dreading :p)

Will keep updated on my progress, Will probably be Placing Manzanita and tying moss tomorrow ( 2 weeks off work with knackered Knee :eek: ) so will update more then.

This in effect, isn't really a 'true' planted tank Journal in the proper scheme of things, but I just thought someone may be interested on how it all pans out.

Cheers,

tying moss eh ? Sounds like a hard day ahead ;)

Whitey89 said:
This in effect, isn't really a 'true' planted tank Journal in the proper scheme of things, but I just thought someone may be interested on how it all pans out.

Cheers,
Im interested mate :thumbup:

Hey mate, this is looking like its going to be a very interesting scape. Will watch with interest :) Dont do you last scape down though, it was very different to what you are aiming for with this but still very appealing nonetheless :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments guys,
Im looking forward to this one! Will be nice to have a dedicated R/BCS tank once again.

The shrimp that are coming are 5 x SS-SSS mosura grade of each red and black.

Shouldn't have thought the pebbles will bump up TDS too quick but will top up with Pure RO if required.

Won't the fact Im not dosing EC or excel and ferts mean reduced lighting periods of 3-4 hours a day? Or a lot of floaters?

Don't want to induce BBA outbreak! :eek:

Cheers guys,

you intending on feeding the plants at all- root tabs etc? Floating plants are always good and yes i guess a shorter photo period is a good place to start. Those shrimp sound expensive

darren636 said:
you intending on feeding the plants at all- root tabs etc? Floating plants are always good and yes i guess a shorter photo period is a good place to start. Those shrimp sound expensive

All I will have are the mosses stated above mate, tied to rocks and Manzanita. Hm yeah they are a little, but not too bad :)

I want Blue bolts :(

Looking forward to this with great interest. Your thoughts on lighting are spot on. I never intended to dose my low tech tank, but yet find that I am now to fight deficiencies and recently easycarbo to deal with bba. Reduced my lighting, but sometimes, wished I started more cautiously. My lighting was 8-9hrs a day now 5-6hrs.

Still unsure on positioning of some things, but here we have a few snaps.

There is still a lot of fissidensto attach to every piece of Manzanita in there, but i haven't got it yet.

027a2325-eff3-4908.jpg

027a2325-f002-0575.jpg

027a2325-f00b-ffca.jpg

027a2325-f01d-4953.jpg

027a2325-f028-4174.jpg

027a2325-f037-6041.jpg

Got some Almond leaf teabags in the filter, so water will be a little brown, which in turn will hopefully benefit the shrimp both physically and mentally in regards to giving them the feeling of being more 'covered' by diffusing the light somewhat.

Have many people had success growing floaters in No ferts/ carbon environments?

Shrimp tomorrow :)
Cheers,

Looks great mate. Once that moss takes off it'll look really nice pal. I like it

Floaters are fine in low tech no co2 tanks, they'll mop up any excess nitrates too, salvinia is a good one, a d frogbit, oh, come to think of it phylanthus is a gorgeous small floater and comes in a red form too. Might be worth dropping big tom a pm see if he has some going. He usually does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Alistair,
I definitely think that it will transform the tank when that moss all grows in nice.

I've got moss 'pebbles' all mixed in woth the gravel as a grazing site for the little fellows.

Like i said got a wacking lot of fissidens coming, both. Fissidens Fontanus and Fox types.

Hope i get an Okay look a few months down the line :) will keep trimming and making new 'moss pebbles until it looks like Mossland.

:D

Alastair said:
Whitey89 said:
:eek: OMG.

Noo! These are little beauties!

:)

Prob cost more than a barbecue too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah true ! Need a fair few of 'em too... No worries Nat, we will let you keep them then ;)

Back