• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Priming an Eheim filter

Nont

Hello everyone,

I’m looking forward to buying an Eheim classic 250 (mainly because Eheim filter and hoses is dark green, my favorite color :rolleyes:).
I’ve heard that it’s hard to prime without sucking the hose and I’m paranoid of getting fish diseases and TB in my mouth, Is there anyway to prime it without sucking?

I’m looking forward to buying an Eheim classic 250 (mainly because Eheim filter and hoses is dark green, my favorite color :rolleyes:).
I’ve heard that it’s hard to prime without sucking the hose and I’m paranoid of getting fish diseases and TB in my mouth, Is there anyway to prime it without sucking
If you buy the double-taps it makes life a lot easier.

Cheers Darrel

Hello everyone,

I’ve heard that it’s hard to prime without sucking the hose and I’m paranoid of getting fish diseases and TB in my mouth, Is there anyway to prime it without sucking?
I sucked on the hoses for a good 10 years back in the day and never caught any illnesses.

Hi @Natthanon

Have you considered the Eheim ecco pro range, which are a doddle to prime - just close the lid! I have an ecco pro 130 and it's a good canister filter. Here's a link:

Note also that the filter body is dark green! ;)

JPC

As Darrel says a set of double taps are useful. Once you’ve started the system you won’t need to do it again with double taps. You could try one of these to start it.
I’m a bit confused on what Darrel says at first, thought I still have to do it everytime even with the double tabs.
I probably give basic syphon starter a try.
Hi @Natthanon

Have you considered the Eheim ecco pro range, which are a doddle to prime - just close the lid! I have an ecco pro 130 and it's a good canister filter. Here's a link:

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m going to give classic a try first.
Note also that the filter body is dark green! ;)
Am I the only one who buy a canister filter based on its look though? :lol:

Hi all,
I’m a bit confused on what Darrel says at first, thought I still have to do it everytime even with the double tabs.
If you clean the filter you still have to purge the air from the the filter. I've always done this with a mouth syphon, although I don't see any reason why a "syphon starter" shouldn't work.

The advantages of the double taps is if you want to just clean the portion of the hoses that go into the tank etc., you can close the tap, then take out the spray bar or filter intake. The filter remains full of water and should need re-priming when you restart it.

cheers Darrel

After I’ve cleaned my canister filter I fill it up with water and close it up. After reconnecting the double taps I just open them up and the flow recommences by itself. Gently rocking the filter expels any inevitable trapped air. I only need to manually restart the siphon if I remove the hoses for cleaning. I got a mouthful of tank water last time so I’m going to take my own advice and get one of those starting bulbs! :)

@Aqua sobriquet I just made my self a diy starting bulb by cutting old gravel cleaner hoses, it should work nicely.
57BDB9D7-77E4-441C-AAC7-C77A754177A5.jpeg

I bought one of these in the end as it was a lot cheaper than the Eheim. I paid £6.89 inc postage.

Attachments

• F8B0E298-0867-4E71-AB00-E743AAC135FB.jpeg
    F8B0E298-0867-4E71-AB00-E743AAC135FB.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 137
Maybe I’m being daft but I have always primed my 2213 by filling it with water, then putting the head on, then pouring in more water directly into the in hose until water is visible in the outside then putting on the intakes and turning it on.

As I mentioned earlier, as I have double taps I don’t normally need to do anything. I removed and cleaned out the hoses a little while back though and needed to restart the siphon. It wasn’t so easy with a double inlet that has a skimmer on it so I had to do things the old way.

Back