• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problem-solving my newish planted tank

Sarah Evans

Seedling
Hello, just introducing myself and my tank - it was set up in September 2017. There is no CO2, just 30% EI ferts and excel. I have been using an LED for 6hours a day, but swapped to an Aquasky so I can dim LEDs because I’m battling with, what I presume is,
3D74C973-26C6-4C78-8BC3-F0067300260E.jpeg
low CO2 or too much light because I have a little BBA and some brown algae (not much though). I’ve been busy reading lots of threads from the group so I thought I’d join!

Looks healthy to me, as you have reduced your lighting, what I would do is increase your fertz regime.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply - that’s interesting, can I ask why you’d increase ferts now?

One of the things I’m also concerned about is the change in CO2 from the big water changes with EI (I probably need to fill containers and let it gas off rather than fill from the tap).

How much would you increase the ferts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking healthy indeed, now it just needs a bit of time to bulk out a bit. Maybe add some amano shrimp.

I’ve got two Armoured shrimp - I think they would eat the armano? Thanks for your reply.

Arent they filterfeeders? So the amano's should be safe

Yes they are - I’ve always thought they wouldn’t work together, but apart from with their claws I guess there’s not much damage they could do. I’ll get some. Thanks

Perhaps try running an airstone to utilise atmospheric C02, and also help to increase the flow a little.

That’s a good idea - I’m currently running a 206 and 406 on a 190L, but the flow is at the top. Thanks for input.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply - that’s interesting, can I ask why you’d increase ferts now?
One of the things I’m also concerned about is the change in CO2 from the big water changes with EI (I probably need to fill containers and let it gas off rather than fill from the tap).
How much would you increase the ferts?
Thanks
Sarah

To sustain good plant growth you need light, fertz and Co2. If you have bright lights or high lighting / long periods of lighting you need lots of fertz and plenty of Co2. LED lighting is bright so I work on the prinicple that bright lights needs high fertz regime and high rate of Co2 injection. As you have bright lights I would add more fertz rather than 30% double it. As for a change in co2 after a big water change - no need to worry about it, still fill you tanks from the tap - "I do" but I make sure that my Drop checkers are green in colouration at the point of my lighting coming on, rather than switching on the co2 two hours before the lights come on, it have to be 3 hours, my co2 is on a timer and I adjusted the timer so mine drop checkers are green when my lights come on.

Paul

Sarah

To sustain good plant growth you need light, fertz and Co2. If you have bright lights or high lighting / long periods of lighting you need lots of fertz and plenty of Co2. LED lighting is bright so I work on the prinicple that bright lights needs high fertz regime and high rate of Co2 injection. As you have bright lights I would add more fertz rather than 30% double it. As for a change in co2 after a big water change - no need to worry about it, still fill you tanks from the tap - "I do" but I make sure that my Drop checkers are green in colouration at the point of my lighting coming on, rather than switching on the co2 two hours before the lights come on, it have to be 3 hours, my co2 is on a timer and I adjusted the timer so mine drop checkers are green when my lights come on.

Paul

I’ve added a spray bar vertically from my second smaller external. The plants with diatoms on are now moving so there’s more flow at the bottom of the tank. I’ll see how that goes before adding an air stone. Thanks again.

I’ve added a spray bar vertically from my second smaller external. The plants with diatoms on are now moving so there’s more flow at the bottom of the tank. I’ll see how that goes before adding an air stone. Thanks again.

An air stone will produce a surface ripple which will vent residual co2 gas within the water column.

Paul

An air stone will produce a surface ripple which will vent residual co2 gas within the water column.

Paul

I’ve got lots of surface movement with the 406, but I get that the air stone might add more. I’ll give it ten days and see how it goes. I could probably do with more CO2!

Hello,
The tank looks in great shape. There is no need to increase the level of nutrition as there are no nutrient deficient symptoms. You have not specified whether the BBA is on the plants or merely on the hardscape. If it is on the hardscape then you can spot dose when the water level is low during a water change. If it is on the plants then you can incrementally increase the Excel dosing. In any case, it's a good idea to reduce the light intensity when you see signs of BBA or diatomic algae. More large and frequent water changes will also help.

Cheers,

I love your tank it looks simply fabulous!! Well done! I don't understand half of these terminology ! just struggling to get my set up going? Nice to meet you Sarah.

Thank you - it’s all a big learning curve with lots of trial and error! Good luck

your tank looks fine ; it's normal to have some algae here and there ; but I do not agree with some of the comments above : CO2 is the most important fertilizer and if absent will limit plant growth regardless of how much of the other elements are supplied : light, N, P, microelements, etc which will end up "fertilizing" the algae growth; what I mean is that you should try to "bring balance to the Force " , to supply the elements - light, fertilizers - in a proportionate manner given the absence of CO2; I would double the recommended dose of Excel given the light and fertilizers' levels in your tank; and increasing the water surface mouvement will lower the dissolved CO2, the same as an air stone
and by the way , do you have a nutrient rich substrate under that sand ? if not, you should add some tablets or some other root fertilizer for that hungry bottom feeders like Echinodorus and red plants; I would add more crypts as they are resilient and undemanding, like C.parva and C. albida brown, to add more color and detail to the bottom with their small leaves

your tank looks fine ; it's normal to have some algae here and there ; but I do not agree with some of the comments above : CO2 is the most important fertilizer and if absent will limit plant growth regardless of how much of the other elements are supplied : light, N, P, microelements, etc which will end up "fertilizing" the algae growth; what I mean is that you should try to "bring balance to the Force " , to supply the elements - light, fertilizers - in a proportionate manner given the absence of CO2; I would double the recommended dose of Excel given the light and fertilizers' levels in your tank; and increasing the water surface mouvement will lower the dissolved CO2, the same as an air stone
and by the way , do you have a nutrient rich substrate under that sand ? if not, you should add some tablets or some other root fertilizer for that hungry bottom feeders like Echinodorus and red plants; I would add more crypts as they are resilient and undemanding, like C.parva and C. albida brown, to add more color and detail to the bottom with their small leaves

Thank you - I do use root tabs and will up my liquid carbon.

My nitrates have dropped to 0 before a water change so I think I need more Nitrate. The api test suggested it was high but Salifert seem more accurate (with tap water too).

Back