• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problems introducing snails

Boro92

Seedling
Ive been trying to introduce nerites and trumpet snails to my tank over the past few months to help with green dust algae on the tank glass. Unfortunately all snails I have added have met the same fate and have died within a two weeks. I dose EI add have a pressurised CO2 system, the tank is well established and I can’t figure out why this keeps happening - in previous tanks I’ve never had the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever treat the tank for hydra or planaria? This could explain nerite deaths.

I have never treated the tank for hydra or planaria, forgive my ignorance but are these harmful to all inverts?

Hi all,
a pressurised CO2 system, the tank is well established and I can’t figure out why this keeps happening - in previous tanks I’ve never had the issue.
If you have soft water, and you are adding CO2, the majority of snails won't survive, even if they are eating a calcium rich diet.

Have a look through <"Nerite snails in high tech">, iti s quite a long thread but worth a read through.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, If you have soft water, and you are adding CO2, the majority of snails won't survive, even if they are eating a calcium rich diet.

Have a look through <"Nerite snails in high tech">, iti s quite a long thread but worth a read through.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for that, it was a good read and would make sense I.e. pH dropping below 7 due to CO2 addition contributing to shell erosion. When I’ve pulled the dead snails from the tanks they have heavy pitting on the shells.

Looks like I’ll continue with the magnet clear!

Thanks

Tom

Back