• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problems with CO2 since FE change

Bertie

Hi,
As above really. Everytime I put a new FE on my system I have to disconnect all the tubing from the reg, JBL bubble counters and needle valves or else the working pressure gauge ticks away with a fluctuating gauge needle.
It is not a major problem but is a pain to have to re-connect all the tubing etc. Does anyone else have this problem?
May be just that everything just wants to wind me up and keep me on my toes ;)

Hi bertie how you doing? Don't know the answer but thought I'd say hello anyway mate.:) I disconnect everything when change a bottle I even trim the tubes where the meet the bubble counter and needle valve and reattach just my obsessive behaviour.

Hi kirk,
Yes I think that is the best way........still clicking from time to time so do not know what it is............It only seems to happen on a brand new FE and then after a little use everything settles. I have a double needle valve and if the working gauge goes a little over or under 3.5 that is when the clicking starts! Not a major problem but I just hate unknowns :)

Well I have taken apart and re-connected every tube and my double needle valve. Have taken reg from the FE and re-connected all with LSX.
The working pressure gauge sometimes drops and the bps keeps changing. I do not know whether it is the double needle valve that I am using, the Regulator playing up or something else! I am at a loss at the moment. My next action will be tomorrow take the double needle valve off and run just one bazooka and see how that goes.
Any other suggestions welcome? I do not want to pay out for another Regulator.

When I change my FE, I carefully take the regulator off and put it on new FE without touching anything, especially the needle valve. Generally the bps is exactly the same with new FE as it was with the old.

My CO2 system is now finally leak free, therefore I do not touch anything at FE change.

That is all I do but then I always,always have problems....I do not know what is happening now as within 5 minutes of setting the needle valve to the bps I want it drops. I have just turned it all off including the lights as I can see that after sorting out my algae it will start again.
I just do not know what is happening. I should add that I have taken it apart and re fitted every thing three times so far and checking with washing up liquid does not show any leaks but there must be one somewhere or indeed two as it is affecting both sides of the double needle valve and bubble counters.

Hi again, maybe a daft idea but could any ptfe tape of possibly made its way into somewhere it shouldn't,?

Hi kirk, I don't use ptfe but lsx. In the morning I am going to take the double needle valve off and run directly from the needle valve on the regulator via one 65mm bazooka and see if that runs ok. If it does then that will mean a faulty double needle valve! If not I suppose I will have to look at another Regulator. But will have to get one that will be reliable.

Good luck then mate fingers crossed it's not the reg.

How you getting on with it bertie?

Hi,
I have been using two JBL bubble counters. At the moment I have reduced to one Bazooka via one JBL and it has fluctuated on and off all day. I have increased the bubble rate but it drops back down to about 4bps and settles although my dc is only at dark green whereas with two bazookas running I had a lovely lime green to yellow.
I had the lights and co2 off yesterday and have only one light on today. I will keep fiddling and might swap to another bubble counter tomorrow if I can find one.

Hi Bertie
You have a leak somewhere...i suspect its the jbl bubble counter.
These can be taken apart for cleaning so could need investigation...the O ring could be damaged or the top may not be tight enough.
Are you running two Co2 atomisers from one Reg/Cylinder?
hoggie

My JBL bubble counter as first assembly leaked at the tube locking nuts and later I found it really leaking at the locking nuts. This is what happened to them
Bubble_zps4e4f8463.png

I assume was either the LSX attacking the plastic (possible ?) or a manufacturing fault. When I contacted JBL I got a brief explanation that there was a fault (English translation of German) and they replaced it no problem.

Current JBL bubble counter, with no LSX thread sealer is fine.

Hi,
Thanks for that I will check in the morning when I have found my other bc. That would mean that both my JBL bc would be leaking which seems odd but not impossible I suppose. I will check and clean the one I am not using after dinner! Thanks for your help.
PS I will get my large magnifying glass out as these eyes and varifocals do not work well looking for minute problems. ;)

My JBL bubble counter as first assembly leaked at the tube locking nuts and later I found it really leaking at the locking nuts
Well just a quick check of the one I disconnected and there is one split nut.......the other may have a crack but will look later with magnifying glass.........there is a crack at the back where you attach it to the screws on the cabinet........and the O ring is flattened in one place.. So that one is buggered. I will check the other one in the morning! ;)

Hi Bert, when I first started in this hobby 3 years ago and adding co2 I used exactly the same JBL bubble counter - all was well for a while, but i soon discovered the rubber O ring soon looses it's seal, I replaced the unit with a second one after the first failed and this was ok for a few months. When that went wrong I started to look for alternative bubble counter of a similar style - I opted for the small Fluval one and I've had no trouble with this at all, I'd definitely recommend you switch over to this one as basically the JBL ones are pooh!

The Fluval one won't leak or let you down, they are fairly cheap too :thumbup:

Back