• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

problems with sagittaria subulata

jonny.j

can I ask if sagittaria subulata neads special substrate for planting" only ask because planted mine into substrate week n half ago and every day theres a few that are floating on surface!
Can I ask how long it takes this plant to take root ??

few pics! do they look ok as few have dead/yellow stems from when I got them!

plants%202012016%20029_zps0vdsmq5y.jpg
plants%202012016%20028_zpsi5x1uxkt.jpg
plants%202012016%20027_zpsgd6veoxt.jpg

oh wow. that a big tank. what the flow like? sagitaria is a easy plant doesn't matter if it basic graval or rich substrate
yes that's wy I got sagitaria as new to plants and was told this was a easy starter carpet plant" my flow is from 2 external filters" 1200lph turnover each! but not that strong in 7ft tank so don't think its because of flow the odd sagitaria keeps leaveing substrate!

I'll disagree re flow - completely depends on hardscape etc ... you don't need massive rate of flow, just good flow ie test for dead spots/zones

Depending on the Sag history, melt happens ... or sometimes not ;)
It may take awhile to find it's roots & get going, much depends on what's available in terms of light/CO2/nutrients - if you look at the Tropica variant, they suggest low light but medium CO2 ... I find it does just fine in a Spec 19 (so really quite low light) & no CO2, but it takes a while to establish, then grows in very nicely.
In contrast, much faster to carpet in tank with higher light & moderate CO2 but also pale leafs happen quickly if you don't maintain nutrients, also possible melt if CO2 runs out (no idea how I might've come by those observations ;) )

Sagitaria was one of my first aquarium plants in my first 250 liter tank 20 years ago.. Got it from my brother on law because he had far to much of it.
It was a 50 cm high, low light, low tech tank with sand and gravel (that was about all we had back then) and a load of Kribs, never had an easier plant to grow and never used any kind of fert, nada, only fishpoop. :) It carpets like crazy and covered half the tank in less then 4 months..

The plantlets comming loose might be a very light weight substrate in a new setup.. F.e. i recently picked the hobby back up again and used some modern type Colombo Flora base fine grain clay pebble for the first time. This stuff is so sponge like soft and full of air it took months to gain any weight. The first few months it had so much buoyany becuase of this traped air it was nearly impossible to place small carpet plants in it when flooded. If i used the air vacuumer i sucked up more flora base than waste. Man what was i glad that i did a drystart.. I don't think i use it ever again (Can't say it sucks, lol, but way to expensive for what it offers). After about 6 months it became heavier and gaint some suction properties, its a bit easier now, but still it uproots easier than lava based soil or gravel. :)

Last edited:
Like most plants, just keep on replanting until the stop uprooting. Sag will start growing like wild fire sending out runners in a month or so.
Big thanks for advice on my sagittaria" looks like eaven a numpty like me should be ok with this plant in the end" :thumbup:

will just keep re planting when come loose from my eco :)

Hi
You could leave them on the surface to increase root growth. ...but I would dose Macro/Micro fertilzers!
If its a new set - up the plant will take time to get established. ......Sag subulata does well in mature aquariums straight from the start
Cheers hoggie

I have also just bought this plant jonny. I bought the Tropica tissue culture one and after planting it in my new Nano set up (which is small gravel) i planted the remaining in my bigger tank (sand).
It has been floating about in the bigger tank but has so far stayed rooted in the gravel. Like you I am hoping this grows in quickly to stop the floating:)

Back