• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Project 180 low tech low budget high hopes

BonsaiRob

Seedling
Hi all,
New member and wanting to share my first tank project with everyone here. There are some seriously nice journals here so be gentle!

Secondhand 180l juwel Rio
Internal filter with heater
Custom made cabinet ( I wasn't keen on the original so made my own, I know it's bigger than the tank but figured I was future proofing myself should I get the bug, probably will if I get this right)
T5 twin lights which I swapped out for the T8's, another classifieds bargain.
The fitting is shorter being from the bow front Rio but I managed to cater for that with my custom lid.
5m led strip in the lid for evening viewing.

A big bunch of slate for a fiver from a popular classifieds which many hacksaw blades gave their life for in getting the rock forms I was looking for. Not planning that again anytime soon!
John innes no2 and a bag of tesco play sand.
ADA aquasoil and premium rocks are way out of my budget and after much reading I think I made a pretty good budget choice for substrate, well for 6 quid definitely an affordable lesson.

So.. piccies I hear!

IMG_20170211_191448_zpsyzzdxock.jpg

Cabinet still needs finishing with doors, shelves and cladding all planned.

Here's my Scape which I have been living with since Saturday, I think.... I may be rearranging, I'm happy with it but not quite happy happy with it, possibly per occupied with how much the filter will spoil what im striving for. I'd like a higher hill but keep reading about not going too high due to gas build up. I have around an inch and half or so of dirt with a similar sand cap. The highest point is around 3 to 4 inches.

Also trying to keep the back left clear for the filter which is a huge black box which I hope to hide/cover up with tall plants

IMG_20170212_113359_zpslqai43r2.jpg

IMG_20170212_113414_zps0vj4qykt.jpg

So that's where I'm at so far. Would like to get it wet this weekend but may have to wait until the end of the month as I realise I wouldn't be helping myself teting to plant into a full tank.

I'm looking to carpet the majority of the floor and stick to mostly background plants and short mid plants.

Stocking will be a while yet as I'd like to establish the planting thoroughly first but eventually a large tetra school (not decided which yet) along with shrimp to help with the housework
I have visions or middle swimmers using my negative space and flying through the sky. I'm sure you catch my drift

Feedback would be most welcome as I'm completely new to all this and experienced words are valuable, added to the fact I'm you tubed out right now..

Hello and welcome Rob!

Tank is looking good, the only thing I would say is that the rocks as they are look a bit unnatural. I think some of the edges look too blatantly cut.
However, I think if you split the rocks into two clusters and put them close together it could create a really nice effect.

Some tall vibrant background plants like vallisneria will compliment that well. I think anything bright green or bright red will pair up nicely against the dark rocks. But that's just my two cents

In terms of carpeting, in my experience using low tech the best carpets were dwarf sagittaria and monte carlo. If you want the 'faux-HC' look go for Monte Carlo. That's what I use now.

Are you planning to use liquid co2?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Thanks Courtney, I've been thinking about your sign off and I just don't know sorry! Do tell...

I'm not sure my picture is very good but non of my rock cuts are showing, they're all buried to allow them to stand. I know what you mean though in not looking too natural but I have to offset that against the cost which was super cheap, the end goal in my head is distant scale. I may well have a rescape and change things around though.

For the time being I will be using liquid carbon yes until I have funds for a full system. I plan to get a wave maker too to help circulation.

Nice to see a Monte Carlo recommendation for my carpet as that's exactly what's currently in the post! Hopefully here for the weekend.

A question I have is if I plant the carpet and flood the tank to get things moving along, will I be ok planting into a full tank further down the line, during a water change so I can get my arm in. Not sure I have the patience for DSM.

I wonder what's the update of this tank now. I would like to see how the carpets turned out.

Kind regards,
Rodgie

Back