"Project Ikebana"

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Gallery' started by ShawnMac, 18 Feb 2020.

1. ShawnMac

ShawnMac Member

Hello UKAPS,

It has been a long while since posting here. Glad to see the forum still active. I thought I would share with you one of my recent "for fun" projects inspired by a layout I saw years ago when first starting out on Aquascaping World.

If anyone is interested here is the source of the inspiration: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/thr...ascape-of-the-month-ikebana.3612/#post-124201

I don't want anyone thinking it was entirely my idea, although I tried to put my own style into the layout. I went back and shared it on the original post and a fellow member here, Tim Harrison, suggested I share with UKAPS. A good suggestion, I think. So, without further rambling from me, here are a few photos of my "Project Ikebana"

I have more details and a few setup pictures on my Instagram account: @glassgroveaquascaping

PSX_20200204_102715.jpg

PSX_20200204_102909.jpg

PSX_20200204_103319.jpg

PSX_20200204_131253.jpg

LondonDragon, Fiske, CooKieS and 17 others like this.
  2. Kezzab

Kezzab Member

Fun idea :)

Paul27 and ShawnMac like this.
  3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Super Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely stunning, thanks for posting Shawn :)

4. Fisher2007

Fisher2007 Member

What a great tank. I think it works really well. And that fighter is stunning!

5. ShawnMac

ShawnMac Member

Still a little ways to go actually. I am growing out a few things elsewhere to add into this pot. My hope is to really try and bring home the feeling of a floral arrangement using aquatic plants.

6. Mr.Shenanagins

Mr.Shenanagins Member

Wow what a stunning setup, your betta is gorgeous and he contrasts well with your plant choices. Such a fun idea with the bowl, totally works and everything looks neatly placed. Very well done.

ShawnMac likes this.
  7. Paul27

Paul27 Member

Piece of art, great idea

ShawnMac likes this.
  8. tiger15

tiger15 Member

That’s stunning. The arrangement of plants, color, and betta in a glass box is a Tao of art. It will be helpful if you can provide more info on the set up and type of plants used.

ShawnMac likes this.
  9. Gill

Gill Member

Stunning, very simplistic in design and gives a great impact

ShawnMac likes this.
  10. ShawnMac

ShawnMac Member

Here are the specs for the setup. 30 cm cube, 27 liters volume. Lighting is ADA aquasky (original model). I recently upgraded to a twinstar since it really shows the colors better. The aquasky looks a bit washed out in comparison. The aquasky is also less powerful, so more manageable. I wanted the better color saturation. We will see how it goes with more light. Pressurized CO2 through a glass diffuser which feeds into a spin pipe right above it. I use the spin pipe for the betta otherwise I would use a more powerful outlet. Its running an eheim 2211. Light is on for 10 hours a day. Weekly 50% water change most weeks anyways :). The pot has Tropica soil in it.

Plants are Cryptocoryne petchii, S. repens, H. tripartita, some buce variant I cannot recall, blyxxa novoguineensis, rotala var sunrise, rotala var. green.

I have several stem plants I'm currently growing out I plan to add to the bowl. I just planted this with what I had hanging around. There are a few other photos of the project on my Instagram @glassgroveaquascaping. Shows the plant prep, the bowl and tank before planting and right after planting.

Gill, Tim Harrison and Ady34 like this.
  11. Ady34

Ady34 Global Moderator Staff Member

Lovely set up and interesting about the twinstar over the aquasky. Are the photos with the Ada light or the twinstar please?
    Ady.

12. CooKieS

CooKieS Member

Very funny and healthy, awesome betta and pics too, congrats

13. Gill

Gill Member

How long did it take to train the Betta to stay in position for that Shot.