• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Project P

Kezzab

I've had a spare 60l tank sat in the back garden slowly turning quite mingin.

Today i gave it a clean and started experimenting with some rock and a big root I've had lying around outside.

My idea is to have it about a third filled with water. The back left corner behind the rock will be filled with substrate to water level and I'll have emerged growth of some kind, moss, maybe buce, hc japan, crypts, Mc, rannunculus. probably start with what i have in the house already.

Submersed there'll be java fern, Anubis, bolbitis - all from a tank ill decommission.

It'll house a couple of dwarf puffers i have in the tank above. The tank will have a cover.

The root was a local find, not sure exactly what it is. But only a bit is actually in the water. Stone is local. The moss on the wood is taken from a dead ash tree we felled for firewood.

I'd welcome your thoughts on the plan and the hardscape.

Thanks

WP_20180218_16_17_10_Rich.jpg
WP_20180218_16_17_01_Rich.jpg
WP_20180218_16_16_51_Rich.jpg

Looking good, which dwarfpuffer?
Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Are you going to use a background of some sort?

Not sure. I may well black out the back, i don't think ill do the living wall thing. I quite like the juxtaposition with the artificiality of the tank. Not ruling it out though.

k

And they are dirt bags to the max.. :) If fed snails. Puffers kill snails for a hobby, bite off a chunk, the snail retract falls to the substrate and dies. The puffer simply goes on to the next one. I'm breeding pond and blader snails in the garden, these breed the fastest in all kinds of weather. Ramshorn slows down or even completely stops when temps get low. I have rather very little ramshorn outdoors. One day i thought it was a good idae to put an full grown adult pond snail with the puffer. It was 7 times bigger than the puffer itself.. But the little blighter bit off a chunk everytime he passed that snail. It took him 2 weeks but finaly managed to kill it and leave the rest to rot.

That's also the origine of the thumb rule 60 litre per puffer as a minimum. Or clean clean clean and clean.. Mine was an extremely grumpy one, he din't like me cleaning it frustrated him and shot like i little bullit through the tank. Slowly maturing he got so frustrated he attacked everything in his territory and that was the intire 110 litre tank. Imagine 1 little pea puffer dominating 110 litre, it urned hin the nick Master Puffy.. He chased and harassed 3 barbs bigger then himslef to a stressfull death. I was forced to rehome him to a new tank for himself.. He also didn't like beeing solo and got even more angry frustrated he was in hidding all day long and started shooting through the tank when i came close to it if he wasnt in hiding. Because he was always in hiding he was hard to spot after a few days searching i found it dried out on the floor. He commmited suicide.

My personal Master Puffy experience tends me to think in the direction they are beter of with leaving these little dominant psychopatic personanlities where they belong, in India in nature. :)

I've housed the pair successfully, healthy, no squabbling, eating well for the past year in a 20ltr tank. I know it's not ideal. They get 50% wc a week.

My experience with feeding them snails is as zozo says, they bite the head off then leave the rest to rot. The evidence of intact, but empty, snail shells isn't suggestive of them crunching through the shells.

The new tank will have a similar water volume but bigger footprint so i think they should be ok.

Back