• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Propagating aquatics

andy

With my rapidly growing plants, i want to take cuttings of the bits i usually throw away, especially some of the nicer species.

I have some sagittaria nantans (the little one that spreads like mad by runners), some Hygrophylla polysperma 'rosanervig', plenty of Rotala indica, lots of Heteranthera, plenty of hydrocotyle and possibly some glosso.

I also have a few spare tanks in the conservatory with heaters, filters etc and plenty of natural light.

The plan was to take cuttings, use about 4-5 plants per bunch and pot them into little 2" pots.
All i have for compost though is standard potting compost which i can add some gravel to the top to stop it all escaping. This can be ammended though if recommended.

Any suggestions or tips....i used to be a propagator with our local council so i know a bit about it...although this was for terrestrial plants.

Regards

Andy

Hi,
Unless I've misinterpreted the post this is the normal method of propagation within the tank. Just cut the pieces off and re-plant. There is no need for pots, just stick them in the substrate. Are you saying that you would like to grow the clippings emmersed instead? That's a different story because you have to guard against their drying out. The spare tank needs to be tightly covered too maintain humidity during the transition from submersed to emmersed. Many people do this with Crypts with great results. Compost should work fine just like any terrestrial plant. Once the plant recovers from the transition it can be treated like any other terrestrial plant.

Cheers,

Am I right in thinking this is for financial gain? If so, loads of light, loads of ferts and huge amounts of CO2.
Growth will be ridiculous and allow you to have good quantities of plants for sale each week.

Garuf said:
Am I right in thinking this is for financial gain? If so, loads of light, loads of ferts and huge amounts of CO2.
Growth will be ridiculous and allow you to have good quantities of plants for sale each week.

Just for a bit of fun really....i will also have somethings for "swapsies" if someone has something i like.

Potted a few up today and popped them in a 6 gallon tank in the conservatory which is home to a male crowntail fighter. We'll see how it goes.

Back