Pruning advice - Eleocharis acicularis?

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Bueller, 18 Aug 2008.

1. Bueller

Bueller Newly Registered

Just following up on something London Dragon said in another thread, about pruning it down to the substrate to combat algae...

I have Eleocharis Acicularis / Needle Spike Rush in my planted tank, it was set up 4 weeks ago and planted from the offset, it is fairly low light and has no CO2 injection.

I didnt manage to purchase TPN+ and Easycarbo till after about two weeks, by which point the Eleocharis acicularis had turned brown in parts, after dosing with the TPN+ and Easycarbo there has been nice green shoots appearing, would I benefit from trimming it down to the substrate to promote nice green growth?

Thanks in advance.

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

plants love a good prune but i would wait until you have a few more green shoots - not 100% sure on this but just what i would do.

3. JamesM

JamesM Member

I find trimming just the tips provides enough encouragement for new growth.

4. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

When you first plant it, you should be brutal and cut it right back. The growth will be emersed, and go brown and die. This stage becomes an algae magnet.

If I were you, I would cut it right back now and wait for the healthy submersed growth.

Dave.