• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pruning Amazon Sword plant.

Hi,
I have an Amazon that is growing like mad and is beginning to get a bit overpowering in my 100l set up.

I don't use pressurised co2.although I'm going to shortly,at the moment I just dose 2ml of liquid carbon and 1ml TNC complete daily,lights are on 8 hours a day.

Some of the leaves on my Amazon sword are breaking the surface of the water and beginning to get quite stiff, I've cut some of them back as they are beginning to interfere with the water flow but I don't want to go to mad incase I damage the plant.
So how far can you go before you start killing it of, I'm cutting the stem off right down to the base of the plant but I don't want to stop it growing completely so can you cut out all the leafs that are too large or is there a limit?

Thanks in advance

Photos?

Which Amazon Sword (Echinodorus species)?

While it’s possible to trim back the larger leafs, and “encourage” smaller growth, there is a cost to the plant so approach trimming with reason - cutting the leaf back to the base, so there is limited stem (which will soften and melt) is perfect, but take care not to damage the rosette base

Tropica Plant Profiles are well worth watching https://m.youtube.com/c/TropicaAqua...itct=CEgQ8JMBGAIiEwiqh-re4NbuAhUXqMQKHcH0A0A=

This (older) style remains my favourite as it shows growth over 90days

Hi,
Thanks for sending me the useful link,I'm pretty sure that the plant is Echinodorus 'Bleherae,had it for weeks where it was more or less dormant for weeks and then it just took off and grew like mad,now I'm having to prune it to allow proper circulation in the tank.
I'm going to give the plant a root tab to help it recover and hope it recovers ok from the drastic pruning I've had to do.
20210207_102116.jpg

Back