• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pruning E Acicularis & Staurogyne

dsandson

Hi Folks

My 60cm Iwagumi has been going along quite nicely, but its starting to approach needing its first full pruning session. Now, whilst I know a bit about E Acicularis and Staurogyne, I think I need a few extra pointers.

E Acicularis - I know you can simply trim it to promote new growth, as i did this to about 1cm above the substrate when initially planting. Now its established, do I trim it back to the same point or right back to the substrate?

Staurogyne - I know you can chop off the tops and new shoots will grow from the cut. As this is a foreground plant in quite a small tank, can I trim it right back to the substrate to get the new shoots as low down as possible?

Many thanks
Dave

Dave

FYI - in red

Regards
Paul.

dsandson said:
Hi Folks

My 60cm Iwagumi has been going along quite nicely, but its starting to approach needing its first full pruning session. Now, whilst I know a bit about E Acicularis and Staurogyne, I think I need a few extra pointers.

E Acicularis - I know you can simply trim it to promote new growth, as i did this to about 1cm above the substrate when initially planting. Now its established, do I trim it back to the same point or right back to the substrate?

http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/sitePlant.php?plantid=3411&name=eleocharis-acicularis

Staurogyne - I know you can chop off the tops and new shoots will grow from the cut. As this is a foreground plant in quite a small tank, can I trim it right back to the substrate to get the new shoots as low down as possible?

http://www.tropica.com/productcard.asp?id=049G

Many thanks
Dave

Vito said:
The E Acicularis is messy when trimming takes me ages to get all the cutting out, good luck!

Yeah, did the trim yesterday, and even for that small amount it was a nightmare to fish it all out. All the little bits just seem to gravitate straight to the glass and stay there!

Back