• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pruning stem plants

andy

I have a lovely group of Limnophila aromatica (pictured below) in my 50 gal. Lovely and green with pink under the leaves, it really looks great.

But it will soon be touching the water surface and i will need to prune it back. How do you recommend i do it ?....should it be cut hard back to allow just a couple of sideshoots to develop or maybe cut it half back and see how that looks.

Any help is welcome

Andy

Pic169.jpg

normally with stems if you cut the top half off or top 1/3 you make it busier by allowing some side shoots, if you uproot it and cut the bottom off then it tens to grow upwards more. i normally cut the top off then strip a few leaves and replant that so you basically gain another plant. (propergate) <---(sp?)

I have this plant in my tank at the back, I trim it just below the height of the plant infront of it, so that it can shoot out new stems and then look as if they all come from down below in turn making the L Aromatica seem more bushy.
The cutting I replant back in the substrate or put it up for Donation in the sales section.

Back