• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pseudomugil furcatus

samc

IMG_9410_thumb3.png

just found these on the internet and thought they look really nice but not sure how avalible they are in LFS as i would like to try some :D

any of you guys seem them about?

i've had some before.got them from wholesale tropicals.i had the same problem as sam.not sure what i was doing wrong.

I kept them a while.

In a planted tank, under good conditions, they will display much nicer colours than any photo you see. They are not shy and good shoaling. The display dances are amazing.

They originate from fast flowing streams. The key to keep them is perfect water quality, consistent surface movement, frequent and abundant water changes, feed them live or frosen as often as you can. Also, low PH/GH planted tanks are not really suited for the long term maintenance. They'll live longer in a 7-8 PH and especially a GH >10

Resepct also a ratio of 1male/2-3 females and a shoaling of >10 fish

With the Tateurndina Ocellicauda, they are by far the most interesting fish I ever kept

I sold them because I found them too crowded in my 60gal heavily planted tank. They truely need a large aquarium as they are excellent swimmers and the males are easily above 5cm

Some people will tell you they are good in a 80L, in 4-6 family.

For me, in a 100L tank, I'll definately go with smaller fish and a larger shoal, much better looking. Remember, like most Autralo-Guinea fish, they are really very very good and fast swimmers. I think 120-150cm is a minimum and a large 10-15 shoal to have your eyes plenty. 6 fishes will give you 2 males and 4 females, It could cause too much harassement between the only 2 males, stress, not the true behaviour... The males battles are impreesingly beautiful, they run one behind the other in a circle shape, head-to-tail of each other.

Then, each person maintains the fish as it likes, but not always in the best conditions, sadely

samc said:
i just rang my lfs and they dont stock them anyway :thumbdown: where have you guys got them from/seen them?

I'v seen them in Wildwoods in Enfield, and as mentioned earlier in the thread Wholesale Tropicals in Bethnal Green.
Never kept them myself, but when I saw them in the LFS' I was quite taken with how beautiful they were :thumbup:

i really like the look of them and they sound like they have a lot of character too :D gotta get some. my closest MA at crowland even said they have not had any in for ages :crazy: and they have every fish you can think of :twisted: but said if i talk so the manager he might be able to get some in :D but it would cost me £15 in petrol to go get them :lol:

They are hard to find, despite being easily bred, despite their beauty, despite their character... for one reason: they're not easy to maintain and will deceive you if you don't respect their needs: large volume, large distance to swim, high GH and PH, excellent oxygenation. They have no place in a 60cm tank

If you get fish just for its look, ignoring its needs, you'll just kill them soon or later

They were my preferred fish but I got rid of them because I felt they are too confined in my 260L. I sold them to someone that now keeps and breeds them in a 600L

The MA in West Bridgford in Nottingham has had them I think (They had two or three different Pseudomugil spp. in) in but it's a bit of a trek for you! Gratts on here works there and might be able to confirm the species they have in if you feel the trek to Nottingham is worth it.

I've kept 25 of the P.gertrudae and they were superb but short-lived. If you get some set them up with some spawning mops and try and raise some babies quickly to keep your shoal going.

My tank was my Rio 180, so 1m, but I think they'd be fine in a 2ft tank upwards, you'd just have to reduce the shoal size a bit. The males were superb but they did take a week or two to settle down and colour up fully. The females are much less colourful. They seem to be fairly easy to get in most MAs as far as I can tell.

Back