• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Puffer Floating Face Down

Toadeh

Guys, need some help, my new puffer fish is floating face down, its front is a little puffed up, does it have a parasite problem?

All the water is fine, I had been treating its damaged fin with Malofix but when I added some last night he just went face down so I did a water change, he then swam about normally for 30 mins before resuming his position. Colour wise he's strill green and spotted (what he is meant to be) and his belly is white, just dunno whats up with him.

Anyone help and reccomend a treatment?

Raul the puffer fish died this morning.

It looks like amonia poisoning, he has red gills. Am stripping the tank down tonight and will reset it back up and try again

Nope, was just him until he got settled and I could make sure he was fine.

Am thinking he dug into the sand and below the sand is aqua soil amazonia and its leeched a load of amonia into the water. Will strip the tank bare and start again me thinks, since i've set it up I understand a lot more about tanks and what goes where so will have another try and a few months

Toadeh said:
Nope, was just him until he got settled and I could make sure he was fine.

Am thinking he dug into the sand and below the sand is aqua soil amazonia and its leeched a load of amonia into the water. Will strip the tank bare and start again me thinks, since i've set it up I understand a lot more about tanks and what goes where so will have another try and a few months

Sorry to hear you lost him! :(

FYI, dwarf Puffers can be temperamental and also if it was the only fish could be stressed. They look excellent in a small group.

They can be quite demanding and need stable water conditions as they are fairly sensitive.
Its also recommended that you keep them in a heavily planted tank.

There diet is also quite specific, they really like snails and bloodworm. Generally they don't take flake.

Back