• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pumice stone for Filter media

Vivian Andrew

HI,

seachem matrix and ADA sells pumice as filter media, so i wonder whether we can use the pumice stone which they sell to clean feet by breaking into pieces and can be added into filter?

Hi all,
HI, seachem matrix and ADA sells pumice as filter media, so i wonder whether we can use the pumice stone which they sell to clean feet by breaking into pieces and can be added into filter?
You can, you may find it is a lot cheaper to buy horticultural pumice, they sell it for potting Bonsai etc.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,

Thanks for the quick reply, i tried finding pumice stone in my place, but only seen in super market which they sell for cleaning feet like attached below pic, one thing i wanna know whether i need to do any treatment before adding inside the canister filter like soaking in dechlorinator, or need to clean with bleach or vinegar before soaking into dechlorinator like seachem purigen ?

pumice.jpg

Hi all,
Apparently as used by Amano himself. <"Filtration in the Nature Aquarium">.
.......Filter Media
A porous, rough-surfaced pumice stone media and activated carbon are the main filter media that I use in the Nature Aquarium. The dirt that is taken into the filter with water is trapped by the rough surface of the filter media and removed from the water. The dirt that is dissolved in water is adsorbed and removed by activated carbon. The trapped dirt feeds and encourages the microbes in the filter, such as bacteria and protozoans, to multiply and further break down the accumulated dirt.

However, if too much decomposed dirt, organic matter, and cellulose from decayed plant matter accumulate inside the filter, they reduce the flow and decrease the filtering capacity. This creates the condition commonly known as a clogged filter. When this happens, algae start to grow rapidly, and the clarity of the water decreases as well.

To remedy this, the filter media needs to be cleaned.......
cheers Darrel

Back