• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pump box

dean

Hi all
I’m playing around with the idea of building a “Pump Box” made of acrylic that sits on the base on the aquarium to house the eheim pump and also the 300 watt stainless steel heater

I considering drilling holes in either one side or the top to allow the water in

Also thinking of having an inch piece of filter foam on the inside to act as a prefilter

Why am I designing this ?
To hide the pump and heater

What size will it be ?
Base of the box will be a minimum of 120mm X 177mm ( add 25mm to either one if I add the foam)
The overall height will be 345mm only the control head of the heater will be seen (this acts like a bung and stops the heater touching the base of the box

The box will be made of black acrylic and the back of the tank is black so it won’t stand out

My question is this

Where do I drill the inlet holes ?
As low as possible ?
All over ?

Or don’t drill any just put a lid of filter foam on the box ?

It’s a jewel trigon 350 that’s probably going to house barbs and some huge wood covered in ferns etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
Why dont just go for a HMF type wall with 20 ppi foam .There are loads videos how to make it and its dead easy
Regards Konsa
You can't match this type of filter for surface area, they are extremely good, but sometimes unsightly, i would plant epiphytes on the foam.

Could use an eheim external filter and a Hydor external inline heater, then just have an intake and outlet in tank. I use a eheim 3000+ the same way but have the inline heaters post Fluval FX6 filter

I had two externals on it originally but I hate the hassle of climbing in cupboards to turn taps off and the whole cleaning process is a ball ache

Hi
Why dont just go for a HMF type wall with 20 ppi foam .There are loads videos how to make it and its dead easy
Regards Konsa

I use Hamburg filters in breeding tanks but they simply don’t look good in a display tank

If you cover them with plants then it becomes impossible to clean then

Remember the bigger the sponge the more mess it holds and drops into the tank when you remove it to clean it

If you do a HMF in two layers, a very course black outside one covered in moss ot ferns and a finer one inside that you can clean every year :))) you can fix the mess.(
Remember the bigger the sponge the more mess it holds and drops into the tank when you remove it to clean it
)

If you do a HMF in two layers, a very course black outside one covered in moss ot ferns and a finer one inside that you can clean every year :))) you can fix the mess.(
)

The sheet of foam required would be approximately 400mm X 700mm
That a lot of foam to try to wash in a bucket

It would be a nightmare

Hi
If HMF is not the thing U after Make sure the holes are above the substrate level as if it stirs it during waterchanges may get all sorts of organic and chemical impurities that are usually locked in it in the water column
Been looking for an update of tour project for a while as the inspirations U posted looked propper nice.
Regards Konsa

Hmf is definitely not in my plans
I just want to hide the pump inside the tank

So the question remains where to drill the intake holes in the box ?
Obviously above the substrate level but how far above ?

Back