• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pump making low grinding noise

Katfish

Today I have changed my sump pump over to a ocean runner 6500 and its making a low grinding noise.

I have check it over and made sure there was noting at all in the chamber etc it is very clean not even a grain of sand in there.

I have check with a diagram that the prop has all the washers in the right place

What else could cause this low grinding noise?

Positive it's not an airlock somewhere? Or can you hear a physical scratching?

The other thing worth checking is that on the impeller shaft there are no imperfections.

no imperfections at all

but have have been told it might be ware to the washers and rubber caps so I have ordered a complete kit

I found out what the problem was it was missing a washer from the shaft

So for now I have used a washer I had in my shed a stainless steel one but have ordered a complete set from a

aqua medic stockiest.

Now I have that lovely hum back that I am use too.

How do you stop vibration ?

Not easy, you would probably find the pump is very quiet & vibration free when simply running dry but, as soon as the pump has load it complains!
Certainly a suitable base helps - rubber or polystyrene - also the pipework has an influence.
What I discovered over the years is that most pumps are noisy, however all you need is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aqua-Turn-con ... 3f1c1484f0 & you will never look back.....

yep I would love to go with that but how do I plumb the pump into my current system as my sump is low on the ground and no holes in it ?

Yep not something I would want to do or even try doing is drill a glass tank as if it cracked i would not have a way to replace it quick enough on a up and running tank.

But if i was going to get someone in to do it for me what size hole would need to be drilled?

Back