• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pump power cable

Jack B

Hi everyone

I've just bought an Octo Varios 6 pump over Ebay - but I'm missing the lead connecting the wall socket to the AC/DC adaptor.

Can I just use any old kettle cord / PC cord that will fit? Or should one not mix & match?

Thanks!

16369132484784277726592377249517.jpg

It's not something that needs to be matched, i.e 2A power supply (on mains side), doesn't mean 2A fuse. The fuse should be rated reasonably close to the max current. The closer the fuse to the rated current, the safer it would be, however a 2A would likely blow under normal use and would be a pain to keep changing. So I'd suggest 3A as it would only blow if the power supply tried to draw more current than it was rated at, suggesting a failure. 3A is also a common rating for IEC leads.

There are various formulae for calculating fuse ratings, but 3A makes sense to me.

Can I just use any old kettle cord / PC cord that will fit?

Yes, it will fit any C13 connector...

3A fuse for a 2A input?

It's not the input it's the output that makes the consumption. And the maximum for the converter is output 24 volts x 2.75A = 66 watts. This means if you connect a 24-volt device that exceeds 66 watts consumption the converter will overheat and shut down. They all have thermal protection nowadays.

The fuse in the 220-volt main cable will blow only with a physical shortcut in the main circuit. A shortcut in the 24 volts circuit will shut down the converter.

Why the converter states 110 - 220 V x 2.0A = 440 watt doesn't actually make much sense, simply make sure you don't connect a pump that consumes more than 66 Watt or 2.75A and your good to go. :)

Last edited:

It's not the input it's the output that makes the consumption. And the maximum for the converter is output 24 volts x 2.75A = 66 watts. This means if you connect a 24-volt device that exceeds 66 watts consumption the converter will overheat and shut down. They all have thermal protection nowadays.

The fuse in the 220-volt main cable will blow only with a physical shortcut in the main circuit. A shortcut in the 24 volts circuit will shut down the converter.

Why the converter states 110 - 220 V x 2.0A = 440 watt doesn't actually make much sense, simply make sure you don't connect a pump that consumes more than 66 Watt or 2.75A and your good to go. :)
An interesting lesson: thanks Zozo and all 👍

16369163087216626689449271324482.jpg

Mmm hang on - it this the wrong convertor for this pump then?

View attachment 177283
Mmm hang on - it this the wrong convertor for this pump then?

Obviously, the output of the converter is 24 volts and the pump is 36 volts... This means you will come 10 volts short to run the pump full power.
With DC pumps the startup voltage is actually important... This means if it starts at the lowest setting of the controller it might be no problem and it will still run. But in significantly reduced performance and not at 6500lph.

The other way around would be a problem such as connecting a 24-volt pump to a 36-volt output it could burn the pumps circuit.

Anyway, this pump can never consume 70 watts running at 24 volts, because 24 volts will underpower/dim it in RPM... I suspect it is good to go... If it doesn't perform to expectation or doesn't start up at the lowest setting you would need a 36-volt + 70 watts output converter.

Actually it's a bit of a muddle: the online info talks about both 24v and 36v... 🤨
Screenshot_20211114-190921_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obviously, the output of the converter is 24 volts and the pump is 36 volts... This means you will come 10 volts short to run the pump full power.
With DC pumps the startup voltage is actually important... This means if it starts at the lowest setting of the controller it might be no problem and it will still run. But in significantly reduced performance and not at 6500lph.

The other way around would be a problem such as connecting a 24-volt pump to a 36-volt output it could burn the pumps circuit.

Anyway, this pump can never consume 70 watts running at 24 volts, because 24 volts will underpower/dim it in RPM... I suspect it is good to go... If it doesn't perform to expectation or doesn't start up at the lowest setting you would need a 36-volt + 70 watts output converter.
Our posts crossed! Thanks again - makes sense 👍

Yes, this could be, as said DC pumps run at different voltages, lower voltage means lower RPM. It will not startup below its startup voltage. Which is not always specified. That's why I said it should start at the controllers lowest setting.

Back