• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pumps.

Nick16

hi, i am after a decent pump to make water changes easier. e.g use a vac to suck out some of the crap and then suck the pump onto the side (using suckers :lol: ) and then pump the water via a tube into the cink. and then from a large bucket on the floor uphill into the tank.
can anyone recommend me a decent one that will do the job. tank is a 120L and i replace about 25% of the water 3x a week. i dont know what lph i will need especially to pump a metre up into the tank. help please.

oh and where to buy it etc.

many thanks guys. :)

Have you read London Dragon Water Changer article in the Journal section?

Although this is for refils from a mixer tap, if you wanted you could use it to drain the tank then reverse the piping and refill (or put the pump in the bucket and the pipe in the tank). I you use the former method you would probably need to get the pipe full of fresh water to get the the pump going initially. A bit of mucking about, Im sure someone can come up with an easier alternative.

I'm not aware of any reversable pump that is switchable from push to pull!

Good luck!

i dont mind if it is push or pull but i want something that i can put in the tank that will pump water out faster than using a bit of tubing and siphoning and then i will fill a bucket and then use it to pump the water into the tank save me lifting lots of buckets. it would be so much faster esp if i get my 240L going. what about the eheim compact pumps? will they do the job? ?

Nick16 said:
i dont mind if it is push or pull but i want something that i can put in the tank that will pump water out faster than using a bit of tubing and siphoning and then i will fill a bucket and then use it to pump the water into the tank save me lifting lots of buckets. it would be so much faster esp if i get my 240L going. what about the eheim compact pumps? will they do the job? ?

If the drain/sink is lower than the tank anyway (as I guess it is from your reference to syphoning), you can just use a larger diameter tube - I really doubt that adding a pump is going to make a significant speed difference on a given diameter of tubing going downhill. Have you ever seen a piece of one inch tubing syphoning a tank out? Can empty a normal 60cm tank in less than 20 seconds.

For pumping up from a bucket on the floor to the tank you wouldn't need a large pump - without knowing the details of your water change setup I would guess that maybe the best pump is one that doesn't quite run dry in 'bucket one' in the time it takes you to bring 'bucket two' from wherever you keep it to the tank. So partly depend on the size of your buckets!

Mark

cheers for the help mark. my buckets hold 15L. but i would turn the pump on, drain most of the water from the bucket, untill the pump is no longer underwater and then pour the last bit in. then i would switch it off and then fill the bucket up again, or i could already be filling the 10L bucket or have it filled. ---> like your idea. but what would be a good pump to do this? i could try to get hold of a larger diameter tubing to help with the draining. its just the filling i do not have time for, it takes so long. what kind of lph would i need to get it to be able to pump water 1M uphill to the tank? cheers.

Back