• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

pumps

Nick16

with regard to the easy water changing topic, i have seen these. which one would be powerful enough to pump water up about 120cm. i take it i can shove it submerged into a bucket and attach tubing and switch it on?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/froogle_uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/air_pumps/air_pumps/13227#more

Edit: i have found this for the 1000 model, Maximum height range: 2,0 m does this mean this is the cable length or does this mean how high it can pump water?

Nick16 said:
with regard to the easy water changing topic, i have seen these. which one would be powerful enough to pump water up about 120cm. i take it i can shove it submerged into a bucket and attach tubing and switch it on?

Nick

I assume you want this machine to pump new water back into the tank after you have removed your old water (weekly water change), maybe its me - but whats the point in taking water from the tap or where ever, tipping it into a bucket and then using the pump to feed the water back into the tank - feed me more info so I can assist.

My method for removing the spent water by place a hose pipe into the tank, one good suck on the pipe (pardon the expression) and let gravity remove the water, as for refills i use London Dragons method except that I used a mixer tap rather than a seperate hot & cold tap.

Regards
Paul.

at the moment i use a suction to remove water to a 15L bucket and then carry it and pour it down the sink. then for refils, i fill the bucket and then lift (back breaking) and pour in, but now, i need to be changing 120L a week.
my plan is to stick the pump into the tank and attach tubing so it pumps water from the tank, straight to the manhole cover outside the back of my house and then for refils i want to fill a large bucket and pump it back into the tank saving all the back breaking work.

Nick16 said:
at the moment i use a suction to remove water to a 15L bucket and then carry it and pour it down the sink. then for refils, i fill the bucket and then lift (back breaking) and pour in, but now, i need to be changing 120L a week.
my plan is to stick the pump into the tank and attach tubing so it pumps water from the tank, straight to the manhole cover outside the back of my house and then for refils i want to fill a large bucket and pump it back into the tank saving all the back breaking work.

NIck

have a look at this thread - as for my spent water is just goes down the sink plug hole.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4738 - you have even added your comments to this threads.

Regards
paul

Nick16 said:
Edit: i have found this for the 1000 model, Maximum height range: 2,0 m does this mean this is the cable length or does this mean how high it can pump water?

That figure quoted is the nominal static head. It is basically the height the pump can pump to. This figure is the height from the surface of the water the pump is submerged in (or taking the water from if dry-mounted below the surface of the water) to the highest point it will pump water. In practice this is dependent on various factors and the real figure will be higher or lower depending on pipe diameter, restrictions in the pipe (such as bends) and various other things.

so i should be ok then, as i only have to pump about 120cm up. if it doesnt quite make it i can also sit the ucket on a step stool or a small chair. i dont want to go down the python route as i have wierd taps and plus it look complicated (i know it seems simple, but i normally louse everything up)

right, i am probably going to purchase the 1000 model but does anyone know what size pipework fits onto it? like 12/16mm or something else? thanks. Quick reply needed...

i dont get where the inlet and outlet are? obviously something comes in/out of the 'tube' at the top, but is it in or out and where is the other inlet/outlet.

The section that looks like an internal filter, with the grill, comes off and you screw a hose attachment into that. Theres a blanking plate on the grill part, which you remove so you can fit it again.

Back