• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Puntius denisonii in open top tank

If you startle them ( all you have to do is look at them from across the room ) they are like those seed pods you get around lakes etc that explode on contact lol

In my experience anyway, same as silver sharks only 1000000x worse lol

Would a clear net on top of the tank be a feasible solution ? I have also heard of thin perspex sheeting with small holes in it to avoid condensation being used :thumbup: If I wanted a particular fish enough I would seek a solution rather than not choose them, and torpedo barbs are stunning when seen in decent numbers.

adding a lid or net isnt an option for me, i dont get jumpers any more since adding corner pieces but i know denisonii are supposed to be notorious for it. Humm.... amano seems to keep them in open top but then he probably has a ready supply to replace.... could be an expensive experiment!

Considering 3 or 4 as feature fish.

I had mine in an open top for a few years. Don't think I ever had one jump out.

I have had one jump out before when doing some tank maintenance. I am really careful to check where my 3 are before I do any work on the tank and wait for them to move to the opposite end. As said above they can startle very easily but mine are less jumpy since I added the Congo tetra's. Having these in the upper water has helped them feel secure. I would still be nervous of them jumping out of an open top.

Andy

hmmmm, im in two minds about this, i think i will try three then if they dont go carpet surfing introduce another 2, i'll increase the number of harlequins before to help them feel a bit more secure too.
Only one way to find out i guess. Luckily my maintenance is minimal aside from WC now so with a little luck...

Back