• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pure peat as fertile substrate

Victor

Hello everyone! What do you think about using pure peat as fertile substrate covered with a layer of quartz sand? Is there any problem? I know my water will turn brown due tanins but this problem I can solve changing water. Thank you.

Think carefully about using peat. I didn't bury it like you are suggesting but had it in bags as a Ph buffer and its a nightmare with the dust. It just floats and is endless. I am thinking when you decide or need to remove plants the peat is going to get loose.

Dirk

I would consider using coconut "peat" instead, a by-product of growing coconuts for food, rather than true peat. Peat mining is one of the most environmentally unsound ideas humanity has come up with (so far...), releasing huge amounts of greenhouse gasses combined with wide-scale habitat destruction. So if you can, try another alternative.

depending on the source, pure peat is not very nutrient rich but provides great water retention and a good source of humic acids, CEC and acidity. These are important aspects for some emersed/ potted plants but even there it's usually supplemented with other components to sustain long term growth of the plant. It's not clear why you want to use peat, but as far as plant growing is concerned pure sand and water column dosing works well.

Back