Purigen on Ebay

Egmel

Sorry, mine's only been in a few months and I've been tardy and not done this yet.

Others say they just follow the instructions without any problems.

Garuf

I followed the instructions to the letter and had no issues except I popped the bag and rather than try and reuse it I just discarded it. :oops:

"Purigenâ„¢ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigenâ„¢ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. "

and this is a good thing? obviously removing ammonia is good but how much nitrate does it remove??

aaronnorth

baron von bubba said:
"Purigenâ„¢ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigenâ„¢ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. "

and this is a good thing? obviously removing ammonia is good but how much nitrate does it remove??

it is organic nitrogenous waste it removes (not inorganic fertilisers)
otherwise we would have a lot of people on here complaining of Nitrogen defficiencies!

For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Bufferâ„¢, Neutral Regulatorâ„¢, or Acid Bufferâ„¢). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigenâ„¢ is ready for reuse.

does anyone do this :?:
i read the link you posted, Dave, and realised you do, but you also mention that the high pH of the purigen could have an affect - on what i am unsure? I presume you mean the fish, as it was posted in the early days of this forum, but we now realise the pH difference should not cause that much of a shock?

thanks.

Dave Spencer

Aaron,

I use a pH 6.5 buffer solution, simply because I don`t know how rapidly the pH would change. I appreciate that pH isn`t as significant as people think, but a virtually instantaneous change may well harm my fish. I am just hedging my bets a little.

Dave.

aaronnorth

Dave Spencer said:
Aaron,

I use a pH 6.5 buffer solution, simply because I don`t know how rapidly the pH would change. I appreciate that pH isn`t as significant as people think, but a virtually instantaneous change may well harm my fish. I am just hedging my bets a little.

Dave.

thanks